• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad night: Posession of CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ATXBlues

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

The night before Halloween, my girlfriend and I had gone out to a party, drank a good amount and then came back to my apartment. Skipping all that had lead up to the police banging on my door, my girlfriend and I got into a yelling argument and someone called the cops. We were still yelling when they came and I guess they heard her and began banging on my door and yelling. Anyway, I opened the door and was immediately thrown to the ground and cuffed and they entered my apartment without me knowing and got my girlfriend out. After questioning me and her if I had been hitting her (NO was the answer), they got over that and took me down to the parking lot and that's when they told me they "saw and smelled marijuana" on the table when they entered my apartment (which i have no doubt in my mind that they did so.) They asked me if they could search my apartment and I said "no", an interaction that happened 2 more times. They eventually called in Narc cops with a warrant, searched my place and found my girlfriend's ONE tiny psilocibin mushroom (about as big as these arrows <----------------->)and two pills of ecstasy (which my girlfriend had put in the drawer. both were hers), some marijuana plants I was growing, and smokable marijuana. I sat in the police car and then they came out and told me I was being arrested for Posession of controlled substance. I don't know if they had too (I would think they would've), but they never read me my rights. I was booked, spent a day in jail, and then was released on personal bond. Other than two MIC's, this is my first major offense.

As a condition of my personal bond I have to complete a YEAR's worth of very time-demanding drug counseling. I am a full-time student and fear that taking a huge chunk of time away from school would be detrimental. The upside of the drug counseling is that if I do it, the case gets dismissed.

So my questions are this:

-Is there any good chance that I could get this reduced?
-If I deny drug counseling, a deferred adjudication and my case goes to trial could they throw on more charges other than the one Posession of CS?
-What are my overall chances at trial?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

bellestar

Wow.

You are so lucky that is all you got charged with. If I were you I wouldn't be wondering if I could get anything reduced, I would be writing thank-you notes to the cops who were so generous with their charging of you.

Your requirements for the charge you did get are pretty light too, you could have gone to prison. Suck it up, be a man.

You can use and manufacture drugs in your spare time but counselling is detrimental to your school work? Priorities, my man, priorities.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, definitely get the drug counseling...don't stop going until you acknowledge your problem and find alternatives.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

The night before Halloween, my girlfriend and I had gone out to a party, drank a good amount and then came back to my apartment. Skipping all that had lead up to the police banging on my door, my girlfriend and I got into a yelling argument and someone called the cops. We were still yelling when they came and I guess they heard her and began banging on my door and yelling. Anyway, I opened the door and was immediately thrown to the ground and cuffed and they entered my apartment without me knowing and got my girlfriend out. After questioning me and her if I had been hitting her (NO was the answer), they got over that and took me down to the parking lot and that's when they told me they "saw and smelled marijuana" on the table when they entered my apartment (which i have no doubt in my mind that they did so.) They asked me if they could search my apartment and I said "no", an interaction that happened 2 more times. They eventually called in Narc cops with a warrant, searched my place and found my girlfriend's ONE tiny psilocibin mushroom (about as big as these arrows <----------------->)and two pills of ecstasy (which my girlfriend had put in the drawer. both were hers), some marijuana plants I was growing, and smokable marijuana. I sat in the police car and then they came out and told me I was being arrested for Posession of controlled substance. I don't know if they had too (I would think they would've), but they never read me my rights. I was booked, spent a day in jail, and then was released on personal bond. Other than two MIC's, this is my first major offense.

As a condition of my personal bond I have to complete a YEAR's worth of very time-demanding drug counseling. I am a full-time student and fear that taking a huge chunk of time away from school would be detrimental. The upside of the drug counseling is that if I do it, the case gets dismissed.

So my questions are this:

-Is there any good chance that I could get this reduced?
-If I deny drug counseling, a deferred adjudication and my case goes to trial could they throw on more charges other than the one Posession of CS?
-What are my overall chances at trial?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: I applaud you for wanting to good in school. You definitely need to be smarter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">