• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail hearing for inmate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunbun

You're wrong though. As of after 2003, there is not a mandatory sentence. His gun was not on the person. If it were then it would be a mandatory minimum of 2 years. This in fact IS the information I got from his lawyer. He said he could probably get him on probation. Within the past hour I have also confirmed that no he has not seen or talked to anyone about bail yet. His attorney said he has to see a judge to set bail because of his gun charge.

Silverplum

You're wrong though. As of after 2003, there is not a mandatory sentence. His gun was not on the person. If it were then it would be a mandatory minimum of 2 years. This in fact IS the information I got from his lawyer. He said he could probably get him on probation. Within the past hour I have also confirmed that no he has not seen or talked to anyone about bail yet. His attorney said he has to see a judge to set bail because of his gun charge.
OG Effect by proxy.

quincy

The original charges appear to have made your boyfriend ineligible for bail when he first appeared in court (denial of bond was required), which is why his attorney filed for a bond hearing.

All you can do, sunbun, is to trust that your boyfriend's attorney knows what he is doing and is working in your boyfriend's best interests.

I am not as optimistic as you (or your boyfriend's attorney) that the illegal drugs, gun charge and obstruction of justice will result in probation without jail time for your boyfriend (although he may be credited with time already spent in jail). But you can hope for this outcome if you want to.

sunbun

****, I'm not optimistic about it. I know he will probably be back in jail if he does get bail. But I had almost the same charges without obstruction of justice and I got off with just probation and a **** ton of community service. I didn't even have a lawyer in court. Income was too high for appointed one, and couldn't afford one upfront. I just hope he gets as lucky as I did and other people do

quincy

****, I'm not optimistic about it. I know he will probably be back in jail if he does get bail. But I had almost the same charges without obstruction of justice and I got off with just probation and a **** ton of community service. I didn't even have a lawyer in court. Income was too high for appointed one, and couldn't afford one upfront. I just hope he gets as lucky as I did and other people do
I am not sure your boyfriend will do well on probation if this is the outcome, given the variety of his current offenses, but you can hope for whatever you want.

There does not appear to be much more to tell you, though. Your boyfriend needs to rely on his attorney.

quincy

I know he will. I did, so there's no reason why he can't. Thanks for your time though.
All cases are different. You walked away from your offenses with probation but you also did not flee from the police.

At any rate, thank you for the thanks. We always appreciate them.

FlyingRon

His gun was not on the person.
Well you did omit that detail. Yes, given the mix of the charges, I made the assumption he was carrying it when he was arrested.

Within the past hour I have also confirmed that no he has not seen or talked to anyone about bail yet.
Again, he could not have been committed to jail without seeing the magistrate. It just can not happen under the law in Virginia. Bail was obviously considered and denied because of the mixture of charges and possibly other factors. The attorney obviously figures he can rebut some of the presumptions in the initial hearing (which wouldn't be uncommon).

sunbun

Here's an update you guys. He called me today and told me something completely heartbreaking. He's a piece of ****ing **** and quite frankly I don't care anymore when he gets out of jail, if he even does. He can rot in ****ing hell for all I care now. Y'all were right.

quincy

Here's an update you guys. He called me today and told me something completely heartbreaking. He's a piece of ****ing **** and quite frankly I don't care anymore when he gets out of jail, if he even does. He can rot in ****ing hell for all I care now. Y'all were right.
I don't know what your boyfriend said to you but I am sorry you learned about your boyfriend what we all suspected from the start, based strictly on your postings.

You stand to be better off emotionally and legally by leaving him behind, whether he remains behind bars or not.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">