• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being charged for lockbox!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tduck88

in the state of iowa. i myself am being charged with the contents of a lockbox that was in a common area the kitchen and not even in my possesion i dont even have a key to it.. which is not mine fingers are being pointed at me by my roomates. heres what happend. couple weeks ago when i was moving out the house i was staying in got raided by the cops. they charged them for what they had. and took a lockbox which i know was not theres either but it wasn't mine. since i was gone fingers were pointed at me and now i find out they put a warrant for my arrest Possession of Marijuana with the Intent to Deliver, a Class D Felony. which blew my mind. an i leave for basic trainig in couple weeks and this is going to hold me back! can they really charge me for something like with he said she said. what do they want from me what should i do. there guna put me in jail for nothing. i wanna go talk to them but i dont know what to doWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
in the state of iowa. i myself am being charged with the contents of a lockbox that was in a common area the kitchen and not even in my possesion i dont even have a key to it.. which is not mine fingers are being pointed at me by my roomates. heres what happend. couple weeks ago when i was moving out the house i was staying in got raided by the cops. they charged them for what they had. and took a lockbox which i know was not theres either but it wasn't mine. since i was gone fingers were pointed at me and now i find out they put a warrant for my arrest Possession of Marijuana with the Intent to Deliver, a Class D Felony. which blew my mind. an i leave for basic trainig in couple weeks and this is going to hold me back! can they really charge me for something like with he said she said. what do they want from me what should i do. there guna put me in jail for nothing. i wanna go talk to them but i dont know what to doWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Did you have a question? You know...one with a question mark?

Talk to your attorney.

tduck88

can i be charged with a lockbox of stuff that has nothing to do with me? do u have to have search warrant for the lockbox once they taken it out of the house? how can they prove it's mine a charge me with something with out me knowing? in the state of iowa. they had a search warrant for my roomate not me.

HomeGuru

can i be charged with a lockbox of stuff that has nothing to do with me?

**A: yes

######
do u have to have search warrant for the lockbox once they taken it out of the house?

**A: no

#######
how can they prove it's mine a charge me with something with out me knowing? in the state of iowa. they had a search warrant for my roomate not me.
**A: read the actual warrant.

tduck88

is there anyway around this?

is there any law about it being in a common area not in my belongings help out at all?

tduck88

what can happen if i am charged with possesion of a controlled sbstance with intent to sell class d felony first offense? never been in trouble before dont have a record

FlyingRon

You're being charged with possession not ownership. This isn't "common area" it sounds like but the kitchen of a shared apartment. You are in serious trouble and you need a lawyer.

tduck88

it's a house i had my own room up stairs. then there was two other people live there . whats a common area?

FlyingRon

it's a house i had my own room up stairs. then there was two other people live there . whats a common area?
A common area is stuff that's shared between residential units. It would be like the hallway outside a apartment or the laundry room down in the basement or the shared area in a condo or community. This is inside a unit which you were the resident.

lifeandthelaw

If it is your intent to obtain counsel, I highly recommend you do that NOW. As in RIGHT NOW. Obtaining counsel and turning yourself in on that warrant should be the very next two things you do after reading this reply. Don't make any other phone calls, watch another episode of your favorite television show or even sleep in your own bed until these two things have been accomplished.

Why do I say this? Quite simply because it is in your best interest to (a) have counsel when facing a felony charge of possession and (b) to turn yourself in rather than being hunted down by deputies. If they have to come find you, and you have notice of the outstanding warrant, you then become a flight risk and your chances of a personal recognizance bond (or even a lower dollar amount bond) decrease signficantly.

Your attorney can best determine the veracity of the charges and/or your criminal liability for any action involved in this indictment. If you want to have the freedom to choose your own clothes, food and roomate while these charges are pending, I recommend you re-read my first paragraph and get it done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">