• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bewildered about a friends treatment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrappydidnt

What is the name of your state? MI

A friend of mine was just arrested tonight at convenience store. The police had searched his home a year before for cocaine and found nothing. He wasn't even arrested then. He had since moved to a different town and started school to try and better himself. If the police found nothing in his home or on his person why was he arrested? Also, his wife and him had their children in the vehicle with them at the time of his arrest, the police surrounded the vehicle with their guns drawn, with the kids present was it legal or even prudent for the officers to draw their weapons, especially with him not having any prior charges for violent behavior?

The Occultist

If there is a warrant for his arrest, then yes, it was legal. If they had reasonable suspicion that he was involved in a crime, then yes, it was legal. Without more information, we can't give you anything. If you want better information from us, you'll need to find out just why your friend was arrested.

scrappydidnt

His wife said the police won't tell her anything until he's booked and she also said that the officers said he can be held up to 72 hrs without being charged. Why is that?

scrappydidnt

Ok I've just spoken to my friends wife, and this is what I've found out. My friend had been friends with a a dealer and had allowed him to put a new car in his name. It was a new Jaguar. His wife said they still wont tell her what he's charged with, she had heard someone in the background saying conspiracy. If he had no drugs at his home, on his person, or even in the vehicle how can they do this to him?? The fact that he had a really expensive car doesn't automatically mean he's a dealer or even that dope was involved. It isn't like he couldn't afford the car either, he's a mechanical engineer. They popped his dealer friend and the guy pointed the finger at my friend and thats how this whole fiasco started. My question is will he go to prison for this crap?

Some Random Guy

You friend needs a lawyer. During the discovery phase of the prosecution his lawyer should be able to determine what evidence will be used against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">