• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big Marijuana grow need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loloagain77

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Ok so here is the story. I have a friend who grows, him and his fiance are splitting up, she moved to a different state, and they where trying to work things out via phone.

My friend catches her cheating, and she fly's off the handle with the nice temper she has calls the cops, my friend leaves her place in a different state before the cops show up. She says she has called the cops and told them everything about his grow operation which is pretty large to the tune of 500 plants.
So my friend gets rid off all his plants, but leaves the grow equipment up and keeps his pot at a different location. She also by theory gave the names of anyone she knew included in the operation. And states she is doing everything she can to move foreward on getting him busted. No one in the state of oregon has contaced him yet, but then he is not really picking up the phone at the moment.

What can they get him for and how serious is it, if they only find grow equipment, and used soil ect...but no plants? Can they do much?

Should he take the lights down also, and move locations?

Move out of the state all together?

I'f the law looks into this they will find high electricity bills, but not much more.

Please give advice.

Thanks, Mark

xylene

Your friend is an idiot - here's why.

Ok so here is the story. I have a friend who grows, him and his fiance are splitting up, she moved to a different state, and they where trying to work things out via phone.
I'm not going preach the legality angle - weed is illegal, but thats not the issue on why your friend is dumb.

1) Unless you are involved in this grow...first off the fact the YOU know this guy grows proves that this guy is an amatuer and is BEGGING to be caught.

My friend catches her cheating, and she fly's off the handle with the nice temper she has calls the cops, my friend leaves her place in a different state before the cops show up. She says she has called the cops and told them everything about his grow operation which is pretty large to the tune of 500 plants.
They were split. Bonehead move on HIS part.

2) For starters - what a maroon. His girlfriend new about the grow, but he didn't have anything on her? :D And then he goes to fight with her - after she moved to another state and began a new relationship with a new guy. That's not cheating. Thats called ITS OVER. And over course she knows about his mulitple felonies... so I guess he thought he had a ton of leverage to tell her anything.

So my friend gets rid off all his plants, but leaves the grow equipment up and keeps his pot at a different location. She also by theory gave the names of anyone she knew included in the operation. And states she is doing everything she can to move foreward on getting him busted. No one in the state of oregon has contaced him yet, but then he is not really picking up the phone at the moment.
Ok - :rolleyes:

What can they get him for and how serious is it, if they only find grow equipment, and used soil ect...but no plants? Can they do much?
Conspiracy, Fed drug charges, Paraphenalia, etc...

Should he take the lights down also, and move locations?
Your friend should destroy the grow equipment and consider not growing for at least a year after this investigation is over. Forever if he wants to not be breaking the law....

Move out of the state all together?
Moving states will not stop federal agents.

I'f the law looks into this they will find high electricity bills, but not much more.
:confused:

tranquility

I think the best chance is Ecuador. From the state department web site:

"ECUADOR

The current extradition treaty between the United States and Ecuador was signed in 1872, and supplemented in 1939. It remains in serious need of updating. The current extradition treaty does not provide for the mandatory extradition of nationals, contains a very limited list of extraditable crimes, and does not authorize the provisional arrest of fleeing fugitives prior to the presentation of a fully-documented formal extradition request. Narcotics trafficking and related money laundering are covered as extraditable offenses under the 1939 supplementary treaty between the U.S. and Ecuador and by operation of the 1988 UN Drug Convention, to which both the United States and Ecuador are parties.

Ecuador has a constitutional prohibition against the extradition of its citizens. In recent years, representatives of the Departments of Justice and State have traveled to Ecuador for preliminary talks on extradition issues and to offer appropriate assistance. However, the negotiation of a new extradition treaty depends on whether Ecuador is ready to amend its constitution to permit the extradition of Ecuadorian citizens. Despite difficulties in obtaining the extradition of fugitives from Ecuador, Ecuadorian authorities have been cooperative, when possible, in arranging for the deportation or expulsion of non-Ecuadorians to the United States or to third countries from where they can be extradited."

loloagain77

thanks,

I'm not going preach the legality angle - weed is illegal, but thats not the issue on why your friend is dumb.

1) Unless you are involved in this grow...first off the fact the YOU know this guy grows proves that this guy is an amatuer and is BEGGING to be caught.

They were split. Bonehead move on HIS part.

2) For starters - what a maroon. His girlfriend new about the grow, but he didn't have anything on her? :D And then he goes to fight with her - after she moved to another state and began a new relationship with a new guy. That's not cheating. Thats called ITS OVER. And over course she knows about his mulitple felonies... so I guess he thought he had a ton of leverage to tell her anything.

Ok - :rolleyes:

Conspiracy, Fed drug charges, Paraphenalia, etc...

Your friend should destroy the grow equipment and consider not growing for at least a year after this investigation is over. Forever if he wants to not be breaking the law....

Moving states will not stop federal agents.

:confused:
You know what they say, heinsight is 2020! Thanks for your advice and deserved bashing. Would you say at the least they are building a case against him?
If he was to continue to grow, would you say to move to a different state, and do it in anothers name?

Thanks, Mark

moburkes

You know what they say, heinsight is 2020! Thanks for your advice and deserved bashing. Would you say at the least they are building a case against him?
If he was to continue to grow, would you say to move to a different state, and do it in anothers name?

Thanks, Mark
No one here is going to tell you how to break the law.

loloagain77

Confused

I think the best chance is Ecuador. From the state department web site:

"ECUADOR

The current extradition treaty between the United States and Ecuador was signed in 1872, and supplemented in 1939. It remains in serious need of updating. The current extradition treaty does not provide for the mandatory extradition of nationals, contains a very limited list of extraditable crimes, and does not authorize the provisional arrest of fleeing fugitives prior to the presentation of a fully-documented formal extradition request. Narcotics trafficking and related money laundering are covered as extraditable offenses under the 1939 supplementary treaty between the U.S. and Ecuador and by operation of the 1988 UN Drug Convention, to which both the United States and Ecuador are parties.

Ecuador has a constitutional prohibition against the extradition of its citizens. In recent years, representatives of the Departments of Justice and State have traveled to Ecuador for preliminary talks on extradition issues and to offer appropriate assistance. However, the negotiation of a new extradition treaty depends on whether Ecuador is ready to amend its constitution to permit the extradition of Ecuadorian citizens. Despite difficulties in obtaining the extradition of fugitives from Ecuador, Ecuadorian authorities have been cooperative, when possible, in arranging for the deportation or expulsion of non-Ecuadorians to the United States or to third countries from where they can be extradited."
He as not been caught yet, but what does the above mean in layman's terms?

THanks,

moburkes

Hypothetically, nothing. You are on a legal advice website asking how to do illegal things. You need some new friends and some new hobbies. However, Ecuador is apparently a great place to live if you want to avoid being forcibly brought back to the US to face drug charges.

Silverplum

Hypothetically, nothing. You are on a legal advice website asking how to do illegal things.
Damn straight. MO is right, bub.
moburkes said:
You need some new friends and some new hobbies.
Not that we will be checking, or anything...;)
moburkes said:
However, Ecuador is apparently a great place to live if you want to avoid being forcibly brought back to the US to face drug charges.
*makes mental note*

tranquility

What it means is that you can't unring a bell. What was illegal is still illegal and nothing you friend does will change that. (With the exception of affirmatively removing himself from the conspiracy by reporting it to the police. At least that could remove him from further liability from any acts taken by his accomplices.)

Going to another state won't change anything, nor will committing the additional crime of destroying evidence. However, if he flees to Ecuador, it is unlikely they will extradite him back to the U.S. directly.

smutlydog

He needs to clean house :eek:
Once an informants has disclosed the location of the grow operation then that's it. Consider this money making hobby over.

The cops are probably looking for a way to collaborate the information they already have. They may come by for a "knock and talk" to see if they see or smell anything, possibly look through garbage or maybe even look at electricity bill records.

The next step after that will be to get a search warrant.

They don't need someone to make a controlled buy in a situation like this as some folks would imply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">