• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was booked and released, how long before I get ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonflyjmr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

My daughter was pulled over for failure to wear seat belt on FEB 5 2010. The county officer said he smelled marijuana (the kids- over 18 insist to me that they were not smoking in the car but were intending to smoke it at a friends house so IDK how he smelled anything) and had her step out of car. She admitted to him that she was in possession of marijuana. She gave him the 1 gram bag and a broken glass pipe she had in the car and he put the gram it in his pants pocket and the broken pipe into the squad car, searched, cuffed her and put her in police car. I'd like to add here that she and the passengers in the car were never read their rights at any time or asked if they know their rights. One of the other passengers had less than a half a gram also and was also cuffed and put in squad car. They did not see where that bag was put. The last passenger in the car did not have any marijuana or paraphernalia but had 2 warrants for unpaid fines. She was also cuffed and put in a different squad car. By this time the original county officer and officers from two other small towns were at the scene. All 3 (including the two females in the car) were patted down by the male officer who originally pulled them over, one of the females was patted down without any other officers present. He ran his hands under their breasts as well as in their crotch area. The male and other female were patted down but the other two officers were present but in their squad cars. My daughter was in the car of the officer who put her gram in his pocket and never saw him remove it or put it in evidence envelopes. The 3 officers searched her car including her and the other female passengers purse while the kids (all 18 and over) waited in the patrol cars unable to see the search of their purses. My daughter and the other female asked if they could bring their purses and the officers put them in the front seat of the squad cars they were in. They were then transported to wood county police dept. where my daughter and the male passenger were "booked and released". When they got to the police station a female officer patted the two female passengers again. The girls were taken in and another officer brought their purses in shortly after and put them on a side counter. After my daughter was printed and photographed she walked out of the booking room and saw an officer putting things back in her purse after apparently researching it without her watching. The other females purse was also researched without her present and watching. My daughter then signed a paper to be released which had nothing to read on it except two lines for the officers signature and hers. The officer said it was so she could be released saying that she got her personal belongings back. She, being only 18, just signed it without checking her purse to make sure she had everything but nothing was stolen. She waited about 5 minuted for the officer to bring her the seat belt ticket. None of the kids were ever told what they were being charged with. She never received a ticket for possession or paraphernalia and hasn't received anything yet and nothing is on the county open records access online except her seat belt ticket. They never told them what and if they were being charged with anything and brought home no paperwork except the seat belt ticket. The female passenger who had no drugs or anything was told they had found a marijuana pipe in her purse (she insisted she had nothing to the officers and to myself). She was never shown this pipe or any other evidence. I believe she did not because she was very upset because she knows she had nothing and has no reason to lie as her parents would not have cared and she is unemployed so wasn't worried about loss of a job or anything. She was upset because the officers lied. None of the kids have received their court dated or tickets to this day. There are many things about the chain of events that concern me so I'd like to see your opinion of the arrests as a whole but also wonder when the kids will get their tickets because they don't even know if they are being charged or not and if so what for, especially the girl who was told she had a pipe she didn't have.

I know 2 of the kids had illegal substances and should be prosecuted and punished for their crimes but I also think the rights of citizens should be respected by the police and proper legal procedures should be followed. Failure to do so results in a general distrust and hatred of law enforcement which is a shame as the police should be there to serve and protect not scare and violate.

Thank you so much!

Silverplum

I think a "kid" over the age of 18 should be seeking her own legal advice. Especially since the parent wasn't there at the time of the incident.

My daughter was pulled over for failure to wear seat belt on FEB 5 2010. The county officer said he smelled marijuana (the kids- over 18 insist to me that they were not smoking in the car but were intending to smoke it at a friends house so IDK how he smelled anything) and had her step out of car. She admitted to him that she was in possession of marijuana. She gave him the 1 gram bag and a broken glass pipe she had in the car and he put the gram it in his pants pocket and the broken pipe into the squad car, searched, cuffed her and put her in police car. I'd like to add here that she and the passengers in the car were never read their rights at any time or asked if they know their rights. One of the other passengers had less than a half a gram also and was also cuffed and put in squad car. They did not see where that bag was put. The last passenger in the car did not have any marijuana or paraphernalia but had 2 warrants for unpaid fines. She was also cuffed and put in a different squad car. By this time the original county officer and officers from two other small towns were at the scene. All 3 (including the two females in the car) were patted down by the male officer who originally pulled them over, one of the females was patted down without any other officers present. He ran his hands under their breasts as well as in their crotch area. The male and other female were patted down but the other two officers were present but in their squad cars. My daughter was in the car of the officer who put her gram in his pocket and never saw him remove it or put it in evidence envelopes. The 3 officers searched her car including her and the other female passengers purse while the kids (all 18 and over) waited in the patrol cars unable to see the search of their purses. My daughter and the other female asked if they could bring their purses and the officers put them in the front seat of the squad cars they were in. They were then transported to wood county police dept. where my daughter and the male passenger were "booked and released". When they got to the police station a female officer patted the two female passengers again. The girls were taken in and another officer brought their purses in shortly after and put them on a side counter. After my daughter was printed and photographed she walked out of the booking room and saw an officer putting things back in her purse after apparently researching it without her watching. The other females purse was also researched without her present and watching. My daughter then signed a paper to be released which had nothing to read on it except two lines for the officers signature and hers. The officer said it was so she could be released saying that she got her personal belongings back. She, being only 18, just signed it without checking her purse to make sure she had everything but nothing was stolen. She waited about 5 minuted for the officer to bring her the seat belt ticket. None of the kids were ever told what they were being charged with. She never received a ticket for possession or paraphernalia and hasn't received anything yet and nothing is on the county open records access online except her seat belt ticket. They never told them what and if they were being charged with anything and brought home no paperwork except the seat belt ticket. The female passenger who had no drugs or anything was told they had found a marijuana pipe in her purse (she insisted she had nothing to the officers and to myself). She was never shown this pipe or any other evidence. I believe she did not because she was very upset because she knows she had nothing and has no reason to lie as her parents would not have cared and she is unemployed so wasn't worried about loss of a job or anything. She was upset because the officers lied. None of the kids have received their court dated or tickets to this day. There are many things about the chain of events that concern me so I'd like to see your opinion of the arrests as a whole but also wonder when the kids will get their tickets because they don't even know if they are being charged or not and if so what for, especially the girl who was told she had a pipe she didn't have.

I know 2 of the kids had illegal substances and should be prosecuted and punished for their crimes but I also think the rights of citizens should be respected by the police and proper legal procedures should be followed. Failure to do so results in a general distrust and hatred of law enforcement which is a shame as the police should be there to serve and protect not scare and violate.

Thank you so much!

Antigone*

And especially since Miranda does need to be read for an arrest. And especially the crystal ball is out of order and we can't know when the mail will arrive:cool:

justalayman

Thank you so much!
I read absolutely nothing done wrong. From what you have related here, there was nothing improper or illegal in the police' actions.

My daughter was pulled over for failure to wear seat belt on FEB 5 2010.
so the stop was legit

The county officer said he smelled marijuana (the kids- over 18 insist to me that they were not smoking in the car but were intending to smoke it at a friends house so IDK how he smelled anything) and had her step out of car. She admitted to him that she was in possession of marijuana.
and the problem here is? People that smoke pot generally smell like pot and since your daughter admitted to having drugs, the arrest and subsequent searches are legal.

they do not have to use a same sex officer for the search, They do not have to search a purse in front of the suspect. They don't even have to give Miranda rights. If they fail when they should have, only then does it become an issue. Since it appears they did not interrogate the kids, lack of Miranda means nothing.

I suspect the DA has not filed, or maybe even not decided to file charges yet. She needs to keep checking and if she see charges filed anytime in the next year, she needs to respond to them.

same thing with the other kids.

btw: if a citizen wants respect from the police, they might start with not breaking the law themselves.

Last edited:

dragonflyjmr

I think a "kid" over the age of 18 should be seeking her own legal advice. Especially since the parent wasn't there at the time of the incident.
My daughter helped my write the post and the other parties involved are also here to help because they want input too. Maybe I should have put it in the first person...my mistake. BTW...what a petty, unnecessary and unhelpful comment. I'm glad my daughter comes to me for help and advice and she's glad if I don't know the answer I will try to find it for her. You shoukld be ashamed of yourself.

Sincerely,
My daughter and I (u satisfied now?)

dragonflyjmr

And especially since Miranda does need to be read for an arrest. And especially the crystal ball is out of order and we can't know when the mail will arrive:cool:
I wasn't asking for a magical answer. This is a site for people to get legal questions answered and pardon me for asking any questions! You don't have something helpful to say then don't reply!

To anyone else that reads these posts...I am writing to get information not smart ass unhelpful opinions of my question or nasty comments.

Silverplum

My daughter helped my write the post and the other parties involved are also here to help because they want input too. Maybe I should have put it in the first person...my mistake. BTW...what a petty, unnecessary and unhelpful comment. I'm glad my daughter comes to me for help and advice and she's glad if I don't know the answer I will try to find it for her. You shoukld be ashamed of yourself.
I'm not.

I will not be "ashamed" for telling parents that their "babies" should be grown up by the age of majority. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The "shame" you seek to fling does not belong on me...instead, it belongs upon your pothead daughter. No wonder you are so frustrated.

dragonflyjmr said:
Sincerely,
My daughter and I (u satisfied now?)
Not at all.

I disapprove of "text-speak."

dragonflyjmr

I read absolutely nothing done wrong. From what you have related here, there was nothing improper or illegal in the police' actions.

so the stop was legit

and the problem here is? People that smoke pot generally smell like pot and since your daughter admitted to having drugs, the arrest and subsequent searches are legal.

they do not have to use a same sex officer for the search, They do not have to search a purse in front of the suspect. They don't even have to give Miranda rights. If they fail when they should have, only then does it become an issue. Since it appears they did not interrogate the kids, lack of Miranda means nothing.

I suspect the DA has not filed, or maybe even not decided to file charges yet. She needs to keep checking and if she see charges filed anytime in the next year, she needs to respond to them.

same thing with the other kids.

btw: if a citizen wants respect from the police, they might start with not breaking the law themselves.

I wrote in the last paragraph that I believe the kids should be prosecuted and I don;t believe in use of illegal substances. Also, the kids were questioned separately for an hour or so.

Antigone*

I'm not.

I will not be "ashamed" for telling parents that their "babies" should be grown up by the age of majority. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The "shame" you seek to fling does not belong on me...instead, it belongs upon your pothead daughter. No wonder you are so frustrated.

Not at all.

SP, you and I both know that this mommy is not going to be satisfied until she hears that what happened to her little pot-smoking girl and her pothead friends was wrong. The police should be out there catching murderer and rapists and not pulling over arrogant, conceited, young soon-to-be drug addicts.

If mom feels so strongly that her baby's rights were violated then she should fork over the money for an attorney.

We've told her that Miranda is not necessary for an arrest. She asked if the arrest was proper, we said yes. Our job is done

eta...wait a minute: She didn't even ask that question in THIS thread...she asked it in the one she deleted. In this one her only question was when would she get the ticket... we answered that one too. Crystal is out of order!!!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In that whole jumble of words, I didn't even see a legal question.

However, I *am* reminded of the old saying: The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...

Thank you so much!

dragonflyjmr

I'm not.

Not at all.

You're a nasty mean person. I actually have made appointments for her to see a therapist and a AODA counselor since I found out about her drug use due to this incident. Not that any of that is your business. She is covered by my insurance and she asked me to make them for her so I made the appointments for her and went and filled out insurance information. My daughter graduated at 16 from HS and is a Sophomore in college but still comes to me, a person she respects, for advice. I'm not ashamed of her or her asking me for help. I'm sorry if you didn't have a relationship like that with your parents. I have 2 Degrees, 1 Bachelors in Early Childhood Education and a Doctorate in Medicine with an emphasis in Research. None of which are in Law with the exception of Medical Law. I am intelligent and will not tolerate disrespect from my children or someone like you who knows nothing about myself or my children. I posted a question meant to get real legal answers not a analysis of my child, our relationship or my parenting skills. Also, I could care less what you think of text speak. I used it once to add a quick side note.

I'd appreciate it if you did not post any more replies to my original post as you have absolutely nothing constructive to say.

Sincerely-

Antigone*

In that whole jumble of words, I didn't even see a legal question.
However, I *am* reminded of the old saying: The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...
I said that to her in her first thread (the one she deleted). She posted again, but it didn't get any better.

Fruit... I've got some really yummy Strawberries, if you want some:D

justalayman

I wrote in the last paragraph that I believe the kids should be prosecuted and I don;t believe in use of illegal substances. Also, the kids were questioned separately for an hour or so.
You said nothing about them being questioned for an hour.

Regardless, the only thing that might affect is if they disclosed something that is used to prosecute them and they should have been Mirandized, their attorney should be able to get that information thrown out.

and to the part about you believe they should be prosecuted; well good because if things work as they should, your wish will come true.

Antigone*

You're a nasty mean person. I actually have made appointments for her to see a therapist and a AODA counselor since I found out about her drug use due to this incident. Not that any of that is your business. She is covered by my insurance and she asked me to make them for her so I made the appointments for her and went and filled out insurance information. My daughter graduated at 16 from HS and is a Sophomore in college but still comes to me, a person she respects, for advice. I'm not ashamed of her or her asking me for help. I'm sorry if you didn't have a relationship like that with your parents. I have 2 Degrees, 1 Bachelors in Early Childhood Education and a Doctorate in Medicine with an emphasis in Research. None of which are in Law with the exception of Medical Law. I am intelligent and will not tolerate disrespect from my children or someone like you who knows nothing about myself or my children. I posted a question meant to get real legal answers not a analysis of my child, our relationship or my parenting skills. Also, I could care less what you think of text speak. I used it once to add a quick side note.

I'd appreciate it if you did not post any more replies to my original post as you have absolutely nothing constructive to say.

Sincerely-
...LOL... you must have a degree in verbosity as well:rolleyes:

justalayman

Also, I could care less what you think of text speak.
So, just how much less could you care? You did state you could care less which means you do care what Silvrplum thinks of text speak.

If I don't care at all, then I will state is as such with; I couldn't care less. That would be stating that there is no lower level of caring possible.

Since you are so well educated, one would think you would have a better mastery of the English language.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">