• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother using drugs - legal advice ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

M P K

I live in New Jersey.

My brother (40 something years old) is heavily into drugs; he is unemployed. He was "kicked out" by my dad (who is very sick and unable to watch the house), but he still returns to the house to get food and comfort from my mom (the ultimate enabler).

What legal options do I, as his brother, have to prevent him from entering my mom's house ? I am considering calling the police, but I'm concerned that they will dismiss my call if I can't present evidence. I don't live in the house either, so telling him he's not welcome there hasn't stopped him.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated !!
Thanks !!

Q

qadaq

IAAL makes an excellent point. This is definitely a temporary situation. Also, I'm sure he's right as far as legal recourse.

However, what you can do depends upon how nasty you want to get. If you don't mind alienating your mother, get him caught. If he's unemployed and your mother isn't giving him drugs or money, he's probably dealing. Start spying on him and take your camcorder. When you catch a buy on tape turn the tape over to the police. Don't get me wrong. This is dangerous. You could get shot. Your entire family will probably consider you a rat. It will, however, get the guy out of your mother's hair.

One thing to consider, however, is whether the guy's really hurting anybody (other than himself) or just mooching. Maybe your mom likes having him around and is willing to put up with the drug problem. I've sent up a prayer for you. I know from personal experience (in a much smaller way) that such situations are a serious pain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">