• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Busted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHIFT211

What is the name of your state? Oregon

8:30 am I woke up to police at the door with a search warrant to my house. After detaining my boyfriend and doing nothing to me, they read us the search warrant which stated they had "probably cause under oath" saying there was Unlawful Possesion and Manufacturing of Cocaine. after reading us our rights they transfered my boyfriend to the station for questions, quwestioned me at the house and let me go, they then tore apart the house. They found a large amount of money, residue, and a scale, but no cocaine of any weight. The officer himself said they didnt find what they were loking for. They seized the money and took the rest as evidence. The money was all we had becuase we choose not to use a bank. He was charged with Unlawful Possesion, Manufacturing, and Delivery. I dont understand how they charged him with manufacturing and delivery, but I do understand the possesion (b/c of the residue) This is his first offence, but b/c they seized the money we cat afford an attorney. He was charged and let go with no bail, but now we're not sure what to do next. His arragnment is at the end of the month and Im just trying to gain some advice so we dont walk into the court room with not the slightest clue of what we're doing. If you can give me any advice, or anything please do.. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

smutlydog

What is the name of your state? Oregon

8:30 am I woke up to police at the door with a search warrant to my house. After detaining my boyfriend and doing nothing to me, they read us the search warrant which stated they had "probably cause under oath" saying there was Unlawful Possesion and Manufacturing of Cocaine. after reading us our rights they transfered my boyfriend to the station for questions, quwestioned me at the house and let me go, they then tore apart the house. They found a large amount of money, residue, and a scale, but no cocaine of any weight. The officer himself said they didnt find what they were loking for. They seized the money and took the rest as evidence. The money was all we had becuase we choose not to use a bank. He was charged with Unlawful Possesion, Manufacturing, and Delivery. I dont understand how they charged him with manufacturing and delivery, but I do understand the possesion (b/c of the residue) This is his first offence, but b/c they seized the money we cat afford an attorney. He was charged and let go with no bail, but now we're not sure what to do next. His arragnment is at the end of the month and Im just trying to gain some advice so we dont walk into the court room with not the slightest clue of what we're doing. If you can give me any advice, or anything please do.. Thank you.What is the name of your state?
I dont understand how they charged him with manufacturing and delivery
An attorney can file for discovery which will include a little more detailed information on what led to the raid. For now don't speak to anybody about this case. The list of people not to speak to includes the police, prosecutors, friends and anyone who you were involved with.

I have never heard of anybody getting their money back in a situation like that. Besides you are liable to ruffle some feathers if you try.

Why would you not want to keep your money in a bank if the cash was legal? Only people that lived through the great depression did that.

outonbail

Wait out the month and see what happens when he appears in court. If the evidence they collected is as small an amount as you claim, the DA may decide not to proceed if he doesn't believe the evidence will be enough to get a conviction.

Which may be why they released him from custody without having to post bail.

I would also suggest that he removes himself from any and all involvement in the illegal drug trade. This means no personal use and no associating with the users/dealers he knows.

Because, when the police have a valid reason for suspecting someone of selling drugs, it is quite common for them to return to the home of the suspected dealer and hit it with a second search warrant. It is also quite common for them to have more success the second time around because people don't seem to learn anything from that first raid.

So if he doesn't clean up his act and stay that way, he's only postponing the inevitable.

SHIFT211

Thanks for the advice guys. I have another question, the police that raided our house were from a different city, and there were no PD from our city at the raid. Does this mean anything? I don't know too much about the law, but I thought that usually they don't cross jurisdictions. I've been racking my brain for any loop hole that can get him out of this, if this is one please let me know. Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">