• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Busted for adderall in dorms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cole_FA

I go to a university in Missouri, I also live in the dorms. My roomate was smoking pot in the room and the RA's and cops came in and busted him. I was not in the room but was called in because they found 2 seeds on my desk. They asked to search and I showed them where I had 4 adderall pills. They said I was charged with a felony for the adderall, but I was not going to be charged with the seeds. Now if I was charged with a felony I would think they would arrest me not just let me on my way. I received no ticket or court date, no information on what to do next, I can not find any police report on the police departments website which allows you to find recent police reports. They were campus cops which belong to a sub-station of the regular police department. I also found out later that the cop had been searching on my desk and under my bed before I was even in the room, otherwise they would not have found those seeds and I would have been completely unrelated to the actual incident that my roomate was involved in. The seeds were not in plain sight if he had to search for them. I am really confused right now and any help would be appreciated, this is the first legal trouble I have ever had.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You likely consented to the search as a condition of living there...gotta love campus life!

Cole_FA

You likely consented to the search as a condition of living there...gotta love campus life!
That is what I figured which is why when they asked to search I just gave up the adderall. But I find it odd that they didn't give me a court date or a ticket or anything like that. I mean what are my chances of being put in jail and convicted of a felony for being 19 with a couple adderall pills in a college town? I know it is possible after all I am being charged with a felony, but I thought if you got charged with a felony you would have to be arrested and taken in then a bond would be set and all that, but the cop just said I was being charged with a felony then left.

FlyingRon

Even if there isn't implicit consent based as part of his dorm contract. The roomie was arrested, the room was under the arrestee's control so the search is most likely valid. That however, makes no difference. Even if they throw out the ill-gotten gains of the search (the seeds), the damning evidence, the pills, were not part of the search but voluntarily provided by the poster.

They don't have to take you in and book you and since they figure they know where to find you when they want to file the charges, they don't have to. You can get booked at the first court appearance or some other convenient time for them. They have quite a bit of time to go back and work with the prosecutor on your charging.

cyjeff

I agree.

Since the roommate was kind enough to be smoking pot IN THE ROOM, that made the room open to search when the arrest was made.

If consent hadn't been given, they would have merely sealed off the room and gotten a search warrant... which would have been granted.

Cole_FA

Well neither of us were arrested. My roomate got tickets for all his offenses, pills and weed, and a court date, I received no ticket or court date. So should I be expecting the cops to show up at my door anytime to book me?

FlyingRon

Being written up is an arrest. You weren't free to go.

But it doesn't matter. WHat you are being charged was isn't a result of the search.
Even if the search is ruled illegal, you provided them evidence separately of your guilt.
Get a lawyer.

Cole_FA

I talked to a lawyer. They have to send in the pills to the crime lab to ensure that they are adderall, then they will file charges and a warrant will be issued. He said it would take six to nine months before that happens. Long ass time to have you future on the line. The adderall was not prescribed to me they were given to me. I had no idea that they were a felony. It was a stupid move, but I never thought the cops would have a reason to search my room. I knew my roomate smoked in the room, but i never let him smoke with me in the room so that if he got caught I could not get in trouble, well obviously that didn't work out. So do any of you have experience with this? What are my chances of actually getting stuck with a felony. I have never had any legal troubles, not even a speeding ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">