• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA: denied job because of marijuana possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Peguin05

I live in california and got a misdemeanor for "possession of marijuana while driving" over 2 years ago. I recently was accepted for a new job but they denied me because I didn't write it down for the background check. I said I didn't write it down because of the disclaimer that says you don't have to if its two years old but they said that didn't count since it was "while I was driving". Is this true?What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in california and got a misdemeanor for "possession of marijuana while driving" over 2 years ago. I recently was accepted for a new job but they denied me because I didn't write it down for the background check. I said I didn't write it down because of the disclaimer that says you don't have to if its two years old but they said that didn't count since it was "while I was driving". Is this true?What is the name of your state?
What makes you think they HAVE to hire you?

CdwJava

Employers can make all kinds of hiring rules. They can set the standard how they wish so long as it does not discriminate against particular classes of people. Having been cited for possession of marijuana while driving is not such a protected class.

Sorry, but you likely have no grounds here. You can, however, ask the prospective employer if there is someone to appeal this decision to ... I would think not, but you can always ask.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">