• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Posession of Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jsorrow12

CA

Hi, I'm 16 and I live in the Bay Area.

The other day I got a ticket for possession of marijuana which I was surprised to find out is only an infraction. Now, I haven't told my parents about this yet, and as foolish as it sounds I want to keep it from them.

A few months back I got a ticket for an illegal U-turn and I've yet to have my court appearance but on the ticket that came in the mail it said I must be with a parent, legal guardian, or lawyer when I show up for my court date.

My question is; since these are both infractions do these rules apply the same? Can I say my sister (26 years old) is my lawyer and show up to court for my marijuana ticket? Is there any way around bringing my parents to court?

Thanks.

CdwJava

Your parents or legal guardian will have to appear. If your sister appears saying she's your lawyer, she can be arrested ... unless she IS a lawyer. Even then, mom and dad have to show.

When you are 18 you can hide your criminal activity from mom and dad - not until then, however.

Jsorrow12

well my aunt is an actual lawyer, does that work or not?

and what if my parents are out of the country at the time of my court date?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
CA

Hi, I'm 16 and I live in the Bay Area.

The other day I got a ticket for possession of marijuana which I was surprised to find out is only an infraction. Now, I haven't told my parents about this yet, and as foolish as it sounds I want to keep it from them.

A few months back I got a ticket for an illegal U-turn and I've yet to have my court appearance but on the ticket that came in the mail it said I must be with a parent, legal guardian, or lawyer when I show up for my court date.

My question is; since these are both infractions do these rules apply the same? Can I say my sister (26 years old) is my lawyer and show up to court for my marijuana ticket? Is there any way around bringing my parents to court?

Thanks.
If you say your sister is your lawyer and she isn't a lawyer she can be charged criminally as can you for fraud upon the court. Continue being stupid and breaking laws. I see prison orange in your future. As you are a child, your parents NEED to be there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
well my aunt is an actual lawyer, does that work or not?

and what if my parents are out of the country at the time of my court date?
Your parents need to be there. Guess you just ruined your parents' traveling out of country. If you want to be an adult, you need to act like one. Start now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">