• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA pothead passenger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squeaky clean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

If I am riding in a vehicle with someone who has marijuana (presumably less than an ounce) in their possession can I be charged? I am totally straight and always have been, with no criminal record.
If the driver is impaired, will I go to jail or will the officer allow me to drive away in the vehicle since I am not impaired?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

If I am riding in a vehicle with someone who has marijuana (presumably less than an ounce) in their possession can I be charged? I am totally straight and always have been, with no criminal record.
If the driver is impaired, will I go to jail or will the officer allow me to drive away in the vehicle since I am not impaired?
No one can say for sure that you will NOT be charged, but if he is holding marijuana on his person, the chances are you would not be charged. However, if the marijuana is in a place where you can also access and exercise control over the drugs, then you can also be charged for the possession.

Possession is a crime of dominion and control, not over ownership or even use. If you have doper friends, you might want to reevaluate those relationships or you may well find yourself in cuffs one day.

- Carl

squeaky clean

Okay. Thank you. I'm gathering ammo so that I can talk to this person. Probably wouldn't have formed the friendship if I'd kown. I definitely don't want to be one of the people on here who is really in trouble and I do want to take personal responsibility and protect myself before something bad happens.

smutlydog

Okay. Thank you. I'm gathering ammo so that I can talk to this person. Probably wouldn't have formed the friendship if I'd kown. I definitely don't want to be one of the people on here who is really in trouble and I do want to take personal responsibility and protect myself before something bad happens.
Many times a spooked individual will remove the dope from their pocket and hide it in the car. Where i live if nobody claims it then everyone gets arrested.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">