• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Xanax possession without rx.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Banned_Princess

Although irrelevant, xanax is not an opiate, it is a barbituate.
yes, I know that. its still a "dangerous controlled substance" and subject to arrest if without the proper bottle. here.

and a 20 month old script will not cover it.

NOBODY SHOULD CARRY LOOSE PILLS.

My scripts say not to remove them and carry them loose.

Last edited:

RRevak

On the contrary, I have a bottle of Percocet that says I am to take it "as needed." I am not often in enough pain to take it regularly. I believe the bottle I have (which had something like 90 pills in it) is still more than half full and is at least a year old.

And yeah, even my little law abiding self will stick a couple of pills in a much smaller bottle or in a ziploc bag and put them in my purse. There's no need to carry all that mess around with me.
My county is also cracking down hard on painkillers etc. I am prescribed Vicodin for a severe back injury I sustained years ago and like you, I am also not always in what I perceive to be enough pain to need them. I began keeping the full amount of the pills at home in a ziplock bag (way up high to keep away from the kids) with the name of its contents, date they were prescribed, and the initial amount that was prescribed. I then keep a few in the actual prescription bottle in my purse. Despite having a genuine prescription, should I ever be pulled over while having them in a ziplock bag on my person it would still be a heck of a legal quagmire to wade through just to prove they were legit. That's just not something I'm willing to deal with. Might be an idea for others who are paddling the same canoe ;)

CdwJava

And yeah, even my little law abiding self will stick a couple of pills in a much smaller bottle or in a ziploc bag and put them in my purse. There's no need to carry all that mess around with me.
And, if searched by the police, you could very likely find yourself charged with a criminal offense.

While it makes sense, it also provides you with no reasonable explanation for the suspicious police officer who hears "I have a prescription ... at home," with some frequency. And given the street value of some of these substances, the friendly officer WILL be suspicious.

dave33

On the contrary, I have a bottle of Percocet that says I am to take it "as needed." I am not often in enough pain to take it regularly. I believe the bottle I have (which had something like 90 pills in it) is still more than half full and is at least a year old.

That is extremely unusual. It also does not make sense for a couple of reasons. Whoever that doctor is took a huge chance.

dave33

yes, I know that. its still a "dangerous controlled substance" and subject to arrest if without the proper bottle. here.

and a 20 month old script will not cover it.

NOBODY SHOULD CARRY LOOSE PILLS.

My scripts say not to remove them and carry them loose.
Agreed, that is why I said irrelevant.

CourtClerk

That is extremely unusual. It also does not make sense for a couple of reasons. Whoever that doctor is took a huge chance.
What's extremely unusual? What doesn't make sense and he took a chance at what?

I have a chronic medical condition that leaves me in quite a bit of pain with some fair regularity. Not enough pain to warrant Percocet on a daily basis, but regularly enough that it needs to be on hand. I've got scrips for various pain killers for various levels of pain and depending on when I take it (night/day/work day/weekend)

las365

Medication for management of chronic pain is prescribed differently from prescriptions for temporary conditions. It would not be unusual for someone with severe chronic pain to get 90 pills at a time, whereas if a person has, say, his wisdom teeth pulled, he would typically get only enough to last a few days.

dave33

What's extremely unusual? What doesn't make sense and he took a chance at what?

I have a chronic medical condition that leaves me in quite a bit of pain with some fair regularity. Not enough pain to warrant Percocet on a daily basis, but regularly enough that it needs to be on hand. I've got scrips for various pain killers for various levels of pain and depending on when I take it (night/day/work day/weekend)
What is unusual is a script written "as needed". Maybe every 4-6 hours as needed. But just "as needed" is what I was saying is unusual. That would be difficult to determine when a refill (if needed) is due. That would also cause insurance difficulty. Also, as I am sure you know percocet contains oxycodone, an "as needed" only prescription would be an addicts dream and an insurance nightmare.

Banned_Princess

What is unusual is a script written "as needed". Maybe every 4-6 hours as needed. But just "as needed" is what I was saying is unusual. That would be difficult to determine when a refill (if needed) is due. That would also cause insurance difficulty. Also, as I am sure you know percocet contains oxycodone, an "as needed" only prescription would be an addicts dream and an insurance nightmare.
my medications say things like "as needed up to 1.0mg a day". or "take 4 at night at bedtime as needed" and "take 2 as needed every 4-6 hours for pain"

Then again, doctors and nurses have been going to jail for perscribing these meds to just about everyone or anyone, once a month every month.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

I've never uncovered any insurance nightmares because (1) he requires me to come in and get another prescription at any time I need a refill and my insurance company apparently has no problem with it. Also, I'm no drug addict, so I wouldn't know what an addicts dream is. I use my meds responsibly and something that strong shouldn't be used every 4-6 hours, IMO, it's MUCH too strong. I'm quite sure my pills are counted and so if they start getting used to the point of abuse, he'd call me on it.

However, the reality is that I'm going to have this condition until I die and the bottle is HUGE, so it's inconvenient to carry around. I suppose I would find myself in a bit of trouble if there were loose pills caught on me by a very nosey cop. I'd take my chances.

dave33

I've never uncovered any insurance nightmares because (1) he requires me to come in and get another prescription at any time I need a refill and my insurance company apparently has no problem with it. Also, I'm no drug addict, so I wouldn't know what an addicts dream is. I use my meds responsibly and something that strong shouldn't be used every 4-6 hours, IMO, it's MUCH too strong. I'm quite sure my pills are counted and so if they start getting used to the point of abuse, he'd call me on it.

However, the reality is that I'm going to have this condition until I die and the bottle is HUGE, so it's inconvenient to carry around. I suppose I would find myself in a bit of trouble if there were loose pills caught on me by a very nosey cop. I'd take my chances.
I am sorry to hear that you have to live with this pain. However many you take and however it is prescribed I hope it makes your days a little better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">