• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Xanax possession without rx.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

You get refills on that? my MD makes me come in when I need a refill. I see him every other month. Mine also has an expiration date of a year. so 20 month old script is not going to cut it for OP.
I see my doc monthly, because I also take phentermine, and I CAN'T get refills on that. Has to be a new scrip each time. But yes, I have refills for my Xanax, my Zoloft and my Ambien. I do have to drop every three months, to make sure I DO drop positive, and they can be assured that I'm actually taking the meds, and not repurposing ( ;) ) them.

Also? I think it's bizarre that OP's scrip is for TWOmg tablets, AND it was for 90 of them, but s/he only takes .25 to 1mg at a time. Is he also carrying around a pill cutter? Starting use is usually .25 - .5mg 3x/day and then it's reassessed. My doc DID tell me that my "as needed" means that I should take .25 and wait 10-15 minutes, then take another... and repeat as needed until the episode was over/stopped, or I'd reached 2.5mg.

So OP carrying around 2mg tabs for MONTHS and MONTHS just in case he has an attack?

Not gonna ring true in ANY court.

LdiJ

I see my doc monthly, because I also take phentermine, and I CAN'T get refills on that. Has to be a new scrip each time. But yes, I have refills for my Xanax, my Zoloft and my Ambien. I do have to drop every three months, to make sure I DO drop positive, and they can be assured that I'm actually taking the meds, and not repurposing ( ;) ) them.

Also? I think it's bizarre that OP's scrip is for TWOmg tablets, AND it was for 90 of them, but s/he only takes .25 to 1mg at a time. Is he also carrying around a pill cutter? Starting use is usually .25 - .5mg 3x/day and then it's reassessed. My doc DID tell me that my "as needed" means that I should take .25 and wait 10-15 minutes, then take another... and repeat as needed until the episode was over/stopped, or I'd reached 2.5mg.

So OP carrying around 2mg tabs for MONTHS and MONTHS just in case he has an attack?

Not gonna ring true in ANY court.
The two mg tablets are a bar that is scored in 4 places, and they break apart easily. My .5mg tablets are also scored in the middle and break apart fairly easily also. If I put them on the edge of a table or desk they break apart with just slight pressure. I generally only take 1/2 myself.

CJane

The two mg tablets are a bar that is scored in 4 places, and they break apart easily. My .5mg tablets are also scored in the middle and break apart fairly easily also. If I put them on the edge of a table or desk they break apart with just slight pressure. I generally only take 1/2 myself.
He's carrying around BARS of Xanax without a scrip, and wonders why he's in trouble? And they filled a scrip for 90 BARS? Heh. Wonder if they looked in his phone, how many texts they'd find, asking him if he can meet so-and-so at the bar after work. :rolleyes:

Toast.

ecmst12

I do not think a legit doctor would write a legit script for basically 360 doses and not see the patient again or write another script for almost 2 years. If he wasn't taking enough to use up what was written for in a few months, a legit doctor would have written for less. It could have, of course, been an irresponsible doc, or worse, a doctor he paid off to write the script.

It's much more likely that OP used the doses prescribed a long time ago and got the pills he was actually caught with from a less reputable source. The defense he wants to present MIGHT work. But he's still got a problem he needs to address. Xanax addiction is VERY hard to kick.

las365

He's carrying around BARS of Xanax without a scrip, and wonders why he's in trouble?
They aren't like Hershey bars :eek: they are little bitty rectangular pills.

I do not think a legit doctor would write a legit script for basically 360 doses and not see the patient again or write another script for almost 2 years.
You know, it's actually 90 doses that could be divided up. If a person suffers anxiety-panic disorder and is in a period of frequent panic attacks, that is a perfectly reasonable prescription. It is possible that the patient may then get better and not use any of the pills for a long time, but still carry a few around just in case. A doctor can't force a patient to return for follow up visits. People move, change providers, don't feel the need for further treatment. Plenty of legitimate doctors write legitimate prescriptions for patients they never see again.

All of this debate has provided interesting points of view, but since OP has not returned to provide any more info, particularly about why he was searched and his medication (legitimately or otherwise obtained) was discovered by law enforcement, none of it has any bearing on his situation.

LdiJ

You know, it's actually 90 doses that could be divided up. If a person suffers anxiety-panic disorder and is in a period of frequent panic attacks, that is a perfectly reasonable prescription. It is possible that the patient may then get better and not use any of the pills for a long time, but still carry a few around just in case. A doctor can't force a patient to return for follow up visits. People move, change providers, don't feel the need for further treatment. Plenty of legitimate doctors write legitimate prescriptions for patients they never see again.

All of this debate has provided interesting points of view, but since OP has not returned to provide any more info, particularly about why he was searched and his medication (legitimately or otherwise obtained) was discovered by law enforcement, none of it has any bearing on his situation.
I think that the whole "bent" of this thread has become basically personal opinion...and most likely somewhat unjustified. Its certainly gone far beyond valid legal advice. Its perfectly possible that this OP is telling the truth and its perfectly possible that the OP started out with a legit prescription and stuff happened.

CJane

Yes, yes. I know they're not Hershey bars. I also know that I have a severe panic disorder. I DO take Xanax daily. In addition to other anxiety meds. And my doc will not write a scrip for more than .25mg/dose. She'll increase the # of pills, but she will not prescribe bars. Why? Because they're too easily dealt, and single dose pills not so much.

So yes, applying the "reasonable person" standard -- Would a reasonable person carry around multiple doses of a medication "just in case they needed it", when they hadn't needed it on a consistent basis in nearly two years? Reasonably speaking? No. One dose in a pill carrier on the key ring or console of the car? Maybe. Maybe even 2, just in case. But 90 bars of Xanax? I don't think so.

ecmst12

Well I don't think OP was caught with all 90 of them. But I bet it was more than 1 or 2. And he's trying to use a script from 2 years ago to explain them. It's all very fishy, but my thought was that OP is a user, not a dealer.

Maybe it's less fishy than it seems. Maybe OP lost his insurance and that's why he hasn't been continuing to see the doctor and getting fresh prescriptions. Maybe that's why he was either hanging on to expired medication or getting it on the street. Still doesn't explain why the dr would prescribe so many pills for a patient that does NOT take them every day, but I'm not going to assume that OP is a dealer or a criminal.

Hopefully he has been able to consult with his lawyer and things will work out for him...and he will get the help he needs.

CJane

Well I don't think OP was caught with all 90 of them. But I bet it was more than 1 or 2. And he's trying to use a script from 2 years ago to explain them. It's all very fishy, but my thought was that OP is a user, not a dealer.

Maybe it's less fishy than it seems. Maybe OP lost his insurance and that's why he hasn't been continuing to see the doctor and getting fresh prescriptions. Maybe that's why he was either hanging on to expired medication or getting it on the street. Still doesn't explain why the dr would prescribe so many pills for a patient that does NOT take them every day, but I'm not going to assume that OP is a dealer or a criminal.

Hopefully he has been able to consult with his lawyer and things will work out for him...and he will get the help he needs.
I'm just cynical enough that when a story SOUNDS unbelievable, I assume that it's a "rough draft" of a defense strategy. Not to prove innocence, but to create doubt, and therefore hope for the case to be dismissed or at least be able to convince the judge that a deferral program is a better option than jail. Yanno?

las365

I'm just cynical enough that when a story SOUNDS unbelievable, I assume that it's a "rough draft" of a defense strategy. Not to prove innocence, but to create doubt, and therefore hope for the case to be dismissed or at least be able to convince the judge that a deferral program is a better option than jail. Yanno?
Oh, he was definitely here taking his prospective defense story for a test drive. I'd say it broke down instead of getting him where he wanted to go.

johnnova

I was given the prescription and had old pills because I did not take them daily and would use them as a last resort for panic attacks.
I am not a dealer or criminal and am not trying to "get awa" with aything. I was in an accident (just my car ) it was dark and drove over a curb. The police came gave be a sob. test and I passed. He searched my car and I had them in there (I usualy had them at home) and 2mg tabs I would take like I said .50 for major panic attacks. I am going to court and I have a the Dr.s note.

I did not have insurance and was told by the doctor to make them last (I previously saw a dr) that gave me 90 a month for the months and those lasted a very long time. This is not a medication you want to take everyday. If you do you can have seizures and
a tough time getting off them. I try and use passion flower extract and stay away from pills. I just want to know what to expect in a CA court. I had a marijuana poss. that I took a class on and was removed from record. No other drug charges.

What questions do you need answers to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">