• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I get charged with just a scale with marijuana residue on it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knight_47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Chandler Arizona.

hey guys, i hope you can give me some insight on my situation.

I was at work yesterday, and went out on my break while still on the clock to my car to grab my cigs, i was confronted by a narcotics detective and she said someone had tipped them off about me selling marijuana on a large scale. I want to clarify that I am not a drug dealer whatsoever, but I have sold to friends from work in the past, including a co-worker who was diagnosed with cancer and needed the pot to help her cope with her pains. She didn't know of any dealers so i would sell her some of my stuff, at no profit whatsoever to help her out.

Anyways, she asked if I had any weapons, I said all I have was my box cutter that I use for work, and told her I was just on break at the moment. She searched me and didn't find anything. I was on break with a couple co-workers as well, she searched them as well and they each had a small amount of pot on them, but I had nothing. She asked if she can search my car and i said sure, she sent an officer to search my car, he searched three times in and out, didn't find anything. So they then put a drug dog in my car, and first time around he didn't find anything. They were very frustrated I would assume because they didn't find anything on me, assuming i was a "drug dealer"... The second time around, the dog found my scale in my glove compartment, and apparently there was some marijuana residue on it. She never even asked me about it though, other than the scale, that was all i had on me. No pot, no drugs, no weapons, no baggies, nothing other than the slightly resinated scale. She asked me if I smoke pot, and I didn't want to lie so admitted I do occasionally, but havn't recently because of final weeks coming up in my university. I told them I go to ASU (Arizona State Uni) full time and work almost full time at work, I don't have the time to be a drug dealer and these tips were obviously very erranious which they definitely are.

She asked me if she was to go search my home would she find anything, I clearly denied having any pot or any other drugs whatsoever on me at my parents home where I live. She then did something very disturbing and said she was going to my house right now, put my whole family on the floor at gun point, and I quote her, "How would you feel if I put your ****ing mothers head to the ground with an assault rifle to her head with the rest of your family". My knees buckled and I literally almost passed out, and started crying; I assured her I had absolutely NOTHING in my house and that my family had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with anything, and my parents have no idea that I smoke occasionally and begged her not to do what she said, i literally begged her... I was scared ****less and couden't help crying (mind you i'm a 20 year old college student, i can't even remember the last time I cried!)

She let us all go without charging us with anything, but they did take everything my co-workers had (which totaled to a few grams of pot, coworker's grinder, and my scale).

You may ask me, if you're not a "drug dealer", then why do you have a scale on you, you must be a drug dealer because of the scale!" My answer to that is that the majority of people who buy their own pot will have a scale to make sure they don't get ripped off, especially in these times... I can point out at least half a dozen smoke shops in a 5 mile radius that sells pocket sized digital scales for 15-20 bucks. Scales are very easily accessible these days, and I hope they don't try to pin me as a dealer just because of the scale. I was currently "dry" at the moment, meaning I didn't have any pot, and was expecting to pick some up from my guy and brought the scale with me in order to make sure i was not getting ripped off.

When she questioned me, she asked me if I had sold them the pot that they had, I clearly told her the truth and denied, and told her that their accounts would not coincide with her claim. After she let us go, I spoke with my co-workers that were with me, and apparently she told them to "put the bud on me" and tell her and the other cops that I had sold it to them. They obviously denied and took full responsibility to their own marijuana. This was very disappointing and disgusted by my local police agency as they would even consider something like this to frame me as a drug dealer. Is this a common practice done by our local agencies?! I sure hope not...

She told me she wanted me to come into her office and she wanted to talk to me sometime this week. I told her I had two of my hardest finals the upcoming week, and begged her to let me focus on my studying for my testing, and I told her my last day on campus would be Wednesday, and asked if it would be OK to come in Wednesday after my finals, she said that was fine as long as it was within this week.

Sorry for the very long post, but I have a couple questions I hope you guys can help me with my situation.

My first question is can they charge me with just a scale with very little residue on it?

My second question is, can they STILL charge me now? Even though they had let us all go? Can they still hold the evidence against me and charge me whenever they please???

Thirdly, I was curious as to whether the Narcatics detective had the right to threaten my family in such a disturbing manner, even after I assured all of them that my family had NOTHING to do with it. It is honestly very saddening to knowing that these are the people that are suppose to protect us and be there for us. Maybe she was just trying to scare me into confessing but I had nothing to confess.

Also, what should I be expecting this Wednesday when I meet with her? Is it still possible they could charge me with the scale I had? I told her that I had been arrested before for marijuana when she asked, and she discovered they had put me on TASC (if you guys are familiar with that, it's pretty much a drug diversion program where they test you randomly every week to ensure you're off the substance they put you in for)

I really need to know what to expect because I absolutely cannot get my mind off the issue and don't have the ability to study in this state of mind. I'm so scared that they will threaten me to confess to what they are looking for or they would charge me with the scale. Please guys, I just want some help....

I digress, but.... I'm assuming as you guys read this, you consider me a low life criminal, a stoner who has because of my occasional pot smoking habits is stupid, ignorant, and deserve to be locked up for good. I am NOT a criminal, I have never been a criminal in my entire life. I am a voting citizen in this great country, a second year college student currently enrolled in the pre-med program at my college with a 4.-freaking-0 GPA (that I worked very damn hard for). I repeat I am NOT a criminal, even though it is sad to know i may be in "theory", or by "definition". Please do not look down upon me, and treat me, or the rest of the marijuana smoking community as a criminal, because we truely are not. You might argue, "Then why are you marijuana smokers always a mischievous populous (ie why are so criminals such as robbers, assulters, etc... always caught with a small amount of pot on them?). My answer to this is that there is absolutely no positives correlation of the really mischievous criminals with pot. In 2006 14.8 million Americans admitted to smoking pot, we are not criminals, we just seek safer alternatives than alcohol (Yes, get this through your heads, smoking pot is no way near as detrimental to the human body as drinking, or smoking cigarettes are. Don't believe me? Do you're own research and you will learn this. Sorry for digressing, but I can't help but feel horrible for people looking down upon me, I have done so many great things for my country and can't sleep knowing that I am a criminal in the eyes of other people.

Last edited:

knight_47

What happened to my post? How come I can no longer see it? I just see the first reply above me ^^ ....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">