• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i obtain a passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdmyers

I received a D Felony for possession of a controlled substance in the summer of 2005. I have since been clean back in school with good grades 3.3 GPA Geophysics at the University of Hawaii and have been really into my volunteer programs for the past year or so. Which brings me to the root of my question I am interested in a volunteer program that takes place outside of the United States' borders and i was wondering if I am allowed to obtain a passport to join them and if so is there any special things i need to do.

Some Random Guy

Are you currently on probation or under work release or home arrest? If so, you MIGHT have trouble obtaining a passport.

However, the real question is whether the country that you want to visit is willing to let you in. There are several countries that routinely deny entry to felons, especially those convicted of drug offenses. Contact the local consulate of the country that you are planning on visiting to understand their policy and to find out whether an entry visa is required.

jdmyers

Reply to senior member for passport

Thank you for your response. No have been finished with everything since May of 2008 and there are a couple of countries on my list and i will ask the consulates. I appreciate the information. However, while we are on the subject I was more interested in studying abroad at the University of the South Pacific but the program requires a student visa, is that possible? Is it possible to get the felony dropped completely?

seniorjudge

Q: Is it possible to get the felony dropped completely?

A: Have you already pleaded guilty or been found guilty of the charge?

jdmyers

response to senior judge

Yes i did plead guilty in may of 2006. However, i have had no problems since and I feel that I should not be continously punished for something that I have already paid for. Last time I checked that was what the third part of the Criminal Justice system was about, Reformation, how can someone truely move on with their life when they can't even apply for a job without mentioning the charge they have. I was sentenced to 60 days a year probation and 545 days suspended assuming completion of probation with no problems. I shouldn't be hindered after the fact.
Anyway back to my question is it possible to obtain a student visa and if so what are the hoops i need to jump through.
thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">