• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my vice principal really search me whenever?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drummer_girl8

In late october I was caught a block away from school with a small amount of marijuana. No one pressed charges on me, I only got expelled untill Febuary. The Vice Principal at my school said that when I come back he can now search me at any time even without my consent. Is this legal?

Second off, this vice principal followed one of my friends a couple of times for more than two blocks. Can this be considered harassment?

always,
Rach

F

FKNA

No, they can't search your person. Anything belonging to the school is a different story, i.e. school locker.

One occurance of your friend being followed, not much of a case for anything. If it continues, I see stalking laws coming into play.

JETX

Sorry, but I disagree with FKNA:

In the aftermath of the school violence in the last few years, most schools have taken the proactive stance of being able to check ANYTHING that you bring to school, including yourself. This is usually done through a 'student handbook' or 'student agreement' that you sign at the beginning of the school year. In that, you give them permission to search you or your property (even your car in the parking lot) while on school property.

F

FKNA

Halket....you are so CORRECT! I had completely forgotten about the kind of student handbook/agreements in place these days.

S

sectorsight

Although, this person sounds like a highschool student. and most highschool students are minors. And no student can enter into any contract even manifested as a student agrreement.

JETX

Sector: Wrong on both counts:
1) This is NOT a contract.
2) A minor CAN enter a contract and it can be legally binding. The only difference is that a minor can renounce a contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">