• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can police disclose your background to someone without your consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesseolsen801

Located in Utah

Hello y'all, I had an unfortunate call just take place and I am caught a little off guard. My girlfriend just informed me her parents house was robbed this Thursday the 22nd (Guns and Silver were stolen). While the police were interviewing gf's parents last night I was brought into conversation (Police were asking about all people closely tied to family, I am dating their daughter so parents put me on the list of people who regularly visit their house) Police I assume ran my background, Because I was listed as a suspect due to my history. They informed parents I had a Marijuana distribution charge two years ago and I am considered a suspect at this point. My charge was when I was 18 and dumb, Had a small scale, 2 zip lock baggies and a grand total of 5Ish grams of shaky weed. The thing is I didn't even get a felony distribution, They dropped to a CLASS A MIS for drug possession within 1k feet of a school (I lived in student housing) My question is, is that even legal? Can they just give my background to anyone? Her parents don't even think it's me. Obviously I didn't really want her parents knowing what was in my past but I mean come on, I feel like first of all the police gave them incorrect details, No I did not receive a drug distribution charge as they told them. I received a possession misdemeanor, I feel as though rights have been violated, but ayy what do I know maybe this is just the every day life of a criminal, I say that jokingly but really is there any thing I can do here? I am not worried about being investigated, I didn't do it and have alibias all day long. I don't even live in same town as them, have never been in trouble with their police department.

Your help is much appreciated :)

- Jesse

Just Blue

Located in Utah

Hello y'all, I had an unfortunate call just take place and I am caught a little off guard. My girlfriend just informed me her parents house was robbed this Thursday the 22nd (Guns and Silver were stolen). While the police were interviewing gf's parents last night I was brought into conversation (Police were asking about all people closely tied to family, I am dating their daughter so parents put me on the list of people who regularly visit their house) Police I assume ran my background, Because I was listed as a suspect due to my history. They informed parents I had a Marijuana distribution charge two years ago and I am considered a suspect at this point. My charge was when I was 18 and dumb, Had a small scale, 2 zip lock baggies and a grand total of 5Ish grams of shaky weed. The thing is I didn't even get a felony distribution, They dropped to a CLASS A MIS for drug possession within 1k feet of a school (I lived in student housing) My question is, is that even legal? Can they just give my background to anyone? Her parents don't even think it's me. Obviously I didn't really want her parents knowing what was in my past but I mean come on, I feel like first of all the police gave them incorrect details, No I did not receive a drug distribution charge as they told them. I received a possession misdemeanor, I feel as though rights have been violated, but ayy what do I know maybe this is just the every day life of a criminal, I say that jokingly but really is there any thing I can do here? I am not worried about being investigated, I didn't do it and have alibias all day long. I don't even live in same town as them, have never been in trouble with their police department.

Your help is much appreciated :)

- Jesse
Yes. The Police can talk all day long about your criminal history.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Generally speaking court records are public and anyone can find that stuff out about you if they look for it.

justalayman

From what you stated you did recieve a felony distribution charge but was convicted of the A misdemeanor so how do you see the cops were incorrect in their statements?

Unless your records are sealed they did nothing inappropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">