• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Police Rat out a Rat?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

YungnBrown87

Hi,
Im a 22 year old from western massachusetts. I was recently arrested with a bag of cocaine on me and around 900 dollars so they are trying to charge me with selling. Im not so worried about my punishment as much as what is going to happen in court. While arrested I was scared into talking, I told them i wanted an attorney before I talked to them but they informed me that that was a bad idea and I should talk to them first or I would be in a cell for up to a year waiting for trial, I had never been arrested before and just didn't know. I was arrested with three friends who were actually let go instead of arrested. One or all of them must have told the police who i bought my stuff from because the cops knew his name and even where I go to meet him. The cops got me to tell them a few bits of info, they showed me a picture and I ID'ed my dealer. The cops wanted me to call them and set the guy up a week later. I never ended up calling the police after i was released tho, I live in an apartment complex with my mother and am afraid of retaliation. Now while being questioned the cops told me whatever I said to them COULD NOT INCRIMINATE MYSELF. So what I want to know is.... when I goto court will my mistake come back to haunt me? Im scared that the police will tell the court that I ratted out my dealer to get me to testify to that or use the fact that I told them I purchase over 700 dollars of cocaine off him every few days to convict me of distribution even tho they told me what i told them would stay in that room Im afraid because now that I won't help them bust the dealer they might use info from that conversation in court.
I was also wondering, since I told the police, "I think I want an attorney" and they advised me against it would that be a reason to get what I told them thrown out and when police say, "What you tell us now will stay between us" or "What you tell us can't incriminate you" are they being honest or was that just lies to get me to talk?
I know if they tell the court that i ratted me and my mother could be in bad trouble on the street and if I helped them bust someone which I won't we would be in even worse. I just need to know, will they use what i said to detectives during questioning or are there laws to protect me? Sorry for being so talkative but im very very worried. I made a huge mistake and even tho I can't take it back I also can't go through with helping the police bust someone and I think because of that they will take what I said and hurt me with my own words.

Thanks,
C.B.

Last edited:

dave33

Everything you said will be used against you. That information will not stay in that room and your statement will appear in the police report.If your dealer gets questioned or arrested your name will be in the police report. You got screwed, and you got nothing in return. The detectives are legally allowed to lie and lie they did. If they didnt have enough evidence to charge you with delivery, they sure do now. Do not have any more dealings with them, by giving them that information you shot yourself in the foot or more realistically in the head. That statement about the lawyer will not show up on any report and they will never admit you said that. It's your word against there's. MAKE NO STATEMENTS, GET A LAWYER. If you just kept your mouth shut this would have been a simple possession case, now who knows.

YungnBrown87

so what are the laws for CI's?

So what do they do with CI's? I know im not techincally a CI because I didn't end up helping them but if i had would i what i had said stayed confidential like they said? because the way they made it sound to me was that if i helped them i became a number and then on my court file the judge would see that i helped or something and let me go a little easier. And also they basically said don't tell my lawyer because most lawyers will leak that info back to the street. So should i tell my lawyer everything that happened? Or do you think by telling my lawyer I'll be telling everyone? I really don't know what to do, and don't understand what they planned on doing? Were they really going to help me if i helped them out or were they going to have me help them then use that all against me? One of the reasons besides not wanting to help them was i was afraid by being in contact with them and why wouldn't anyone have gotten arrested since my "confession" or whatever? The whole thing confuses me.
I assume my lawyer gets a copy of the police report? If what i said doesn't end up on the police report does that mean it's being kept confidential? Or would it just be something they would wait to bring up in court?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Hi,
Im a 22 year old from western massachusetts. I was recently arrested with a bag of cocaine on me and around 900 dollars so they are trying to charge me with selling.
No kidding? I wonder where they got that idea. :rolleyes:

I was arrested with three friends who were actually let go instead of arrested.
It could be that they did not have drugs in their possession.

One or all of them must have told the police who i bought my stuff from because the cops knew his name and even where I go to meet him. The cops got me to tell them a few bits of info, they showed me a picture and I ID'ed my dealer. The cops wanted me to call them and set the guy up a week later. I never ended up calling the police after i was released tho
They probably got bits and pieces from the other guys like they did from you. Or, it could be they already knew the guy.

You might consider contacting an attorney ... just in case. By not contacting them to help in the follow-up,they will likely forward your matter to the DA and you may well find them coming to arrest you soon.

So what I want to know is.... when I goto court will my mistake come back to haunt me?
Anything might happen. This is why you need to speak with an attorney who can work out a plea deal that could keep any of that information from becoming public record.

I was also wondering, since I told the police, "I think I want an attorney" and they advised me against it would that be a reason to get what I told them thrown out and when police say, "What you tell us now will stay between us" or "What you tell us can't incriminate you" are they being honest or was that just lies to get me to talk?
If you cooperated, they would have grounds to keep you out of it in most instances. Now, however, they have a green light to send it all to court.

As for the attorney issue, it will depend on the status of the law in your state. Out here, asking if you might need a lawyer is not the same as asking for a lawyer. Your attorney can evaluate that one based upon the status of the law in MA.

I suppose it might be too much to hope that you have learned your lesson about slinging dope?

- Carl

dave33

Listen, do not be a fool. The conversation will be part of your police report and that is a public document. The people you informed on are going to find out. You should tell your lawyer everything. Do not listen to the detectives. There is no reason for you to have any more contact with them. They will use all information against you. They probably haven't made arrests yet because they are investigating further. At the very least you have given them probable cause and when he is arrested the report will indicate that. They used you up and threw you away. The judge will see your statement as a confession not as cooperating. Have your lawyer try to salvage whatever you didn't screw up. goodluck.

YungnBrown87

Just met with lawyer

I just actually met with my lawyer for the first time and he has both police reports and neither mentions anything about what was said, but can this change? I guess the police didn't put what was said into the report but im guessing it could still be used in court or no?

dave33

If that's what the report said, than that's what it said. But, you don't know where your name will come up in other reports. An example would be if they arrest your dealer and use the information you gave to initiate an investigation or bring him in for questioning or possibly make an arrest. They don't need your statement to make a case against you. What are you being charged with?

CdwJava

I just actually met with my lawyer for the first time and he has both police reports and neither mentions anything about what was said, but can this change? I guess the police didn't put what was said into the report but im guessing it could still be used in court or no?
The interview might come out if they charge you and go to court.

Like I said, you might consider a plea deal so that there is not a chance for that to come out on the court record. It's up to you. You made the call to sling dope, so welcome to the wonderful world of the criminal justice system.

- Carl

DwyerSTC

Hey man. I'm in the same boat. I got arrested April 27th. Three friends that I was with were detained and questioned. My place was torn apart. They had a search warrant. They read me my rights and interviewed me. I asked them if I could make a phone call. They said that's up to the jail people. I ended up giving them a statement. Cops man, they trick you. They are very persuasive. They manipulate you. The bend, distort, and hide the truth.

I was then transported to the county jail. The drug & gang task force guy came to the jail, brought me to a room, and wanted me to "work" for him. They wanted as much free information as they could get out of me. They don't want to work for information or do me any favors. I kept asking them "what will talking to you do for me" and all they could say is "oh yeah we will put in a good word for you in court." Try and tell them to write anything down on paper, they won't, hell no they won't.

Well, I was fed lunch and released two hours later. Charged with three counts of 2nd degree sale of controlled substance and one count of 2nd degree possession. They want to turn the three 2nd degree sales into one 1st degree. I'm hoping that doesn't fly.

I've talked to a few lawyers. They want anywhere from $5000 to $15,000 to take my case. Wow, excellent.

I have a clean criminal record. I'm hoping I just get treated as a first timer. 30 days jail, two years probation. Minnesota is one of the strictest places to go to court though, ****.

My goal is to get the felony down to a gross misdemenor. Having a felony will make life suck forever. But, I suppose as long as I don't go to prison I'll be happy.

Good luck to you friend.

CdwJava

Hey man. I'm in the same boat. I got arrested April 27th. Three friends that I was with were detained and questioned. My place was torn apart. They had a search warrant. They read me my rights and interviewed me. I asked them if I could make a phone call. They said that's up to the jail people. I ended up giving them a statement. Cops man, they trick you. They are very persuasive. They manipulate you. The bend, distort, and hide the truth.

I was then transported to the county jail. The drug & gang task force guy came to the jail, brought me to a room, and wanted me to "work" for him. They wanted as much free information as they could get out of me. They don't want to work for information or do me any favors. I kept asking them "what will talking to you do for me" and all they could say is "oh yeah we will put in a good word for you in court." Try and tell them to write anything down on paper, they won't, hell no they won't.

Well, I was fed lunch and released two hours later. Charged with three counts of 2nd degree sale of controlled substance and one count of 2nd degree possession. They want to turn the three 2nd degree sales into one 1st degree. I'm hoping that doesn't fly.

I've talked to a few lawyers. They want anywhere from $5000 to $15,000 to take my case. Wow, excellent.

I have a clean criminal record. I'm hoping I just get treated as a first timer. 30 days jail, two years probation. Minnesota is one of the strictest places to go to court though, ****.

My goal is to get the felony down to a gross misdemenor. Having a felony will make life suck forever. But, I suppose as long as I don't go to prison I'll be happy.

Good luck to you friend.
This thread is more than 6 months old. if you have a question, please post it in a new thread. if you simply wished to comment, well, okay ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">