• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police seize property purchased from a drug dealer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

groatski

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My wife’s co-worker’s brother owns a local bar, and he’s been known to associate with some pretty seedy people. One guy is a local drug dealer that’s recently been arrested and facing 20 years in prison, so he’s dumping all his possessions for quick cash to fund his legal defense. One of the items he’s selling is his car, which is a pimped-out and highly customized 2012 Dodge Charger. The car is certainly not my cup of tea, but for $10k cash (which I do have) I could own a car potentially worth $30-35k.

Assuming I’m able to buy it with a clean title here’s my question:

I’ve heard stories about how the police seize property of people suspected of drug related crimes, to the point that it’s become a significant source of revenue for some departments. I’m worried that if I buy this car the police will confiscate it from me. Can they do that? Can they come after property that’s already been legally sold? I’ve read horror stories of police confiscating property worth tens of thousands on the basis of simple suspicion, and the victim is almost never able to get it back without considerable legal investment.

OHRoadwarrior

The police can seize property obtained by the proceeds of drug money. It could cost you thousands fighting it out in court. Rolling the dice is your problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">