• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you get charged too

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenjen20

I was talking to some of my friend and they think if you a minor and still living with your parents and they are trafficing drugs and you don't turn them in you can get charged with the trafficing too is that true

K

KeyLegal

Snitching on your Parents

If you are a minor, living at home, and do not turn in your parents if they are dealing drugs, can you be charged?

I would say the best answer is, "that depends".

It would depend on a number of factors, especially age and whether or not the minor was actively involved in dealing. It would be a tough call for a prosecutor in most cases.

calatty

Unless they can prove you participated in the dealing, you shouldn't be charged or convicted. That kind of rumor is what causes kids to turn their parents in to the police. The parents can end up with sentences as high as 100 years, the kids end up in foster care, and law enforcement congratulates itself on another drug bust.

K

KeyLegal

What kind of sentence is 100 years? I would say a long one. If one is sentenced to ten years on ten different charges, with the sentences to run concurrent, you have 100 years.

While state law varies, usually if one is aware of a felony and fails to report it, that is an offense. This is clearly a state-specific situation.

stephenk

If the sentences are concurrent the total amount of time served is ten years, under your example. If the sentences are to be served consecutively, then it would be a 100 year sentence.

Consecutive sentences are rare and are used in extreme circumstances.

the failure to report a felony is not a crime in almost every state. Some states require reporting crimes involving children, the elderly, etc. If I see you robbing a bank and I dont call the police, I wont be charged with anything for failing to report the crime.

K

KeyLegal

You are entirely correct on concurrent sentences being all grouped into one, while consecutive means one after another. I made a mistake there. While not common, they are sometimes imposed.

Thank you for correcting my error.

calatty

On the 100 years, see, e.g., 21 U.S.C. 841(b)(1)(vii), which provides for a maximum penalty of life for growing or selling more than 1000 kg if you had one prior conviction for a drug offense, and a mandatory sentence of life without parole if you have two prior convictions. Or 21 U.S.C. 960, under which transporting 1000 kg of marijuana carries a max sentence of life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">