• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car seizure drug related charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovetherea

OHIO

Can the police seize a car they suspect was used in conjunction with drug dealing if the car belongs to another person? The car is tying up a man's credit whose son was driving the car at the time of the son's arrest in association with major drug dealing. Can this man get his car back or will the judge simply free his credit, but keep the car?

seniorjudge

Q: Can the police seize a car they suspect was used in conjunction with drug dealing if the car belongs to another person?

A: Yes.

Q: Can this man get his car back or will the judge simply free his credit, but keep the car?

A: There may be a way you can get your car back. You should have been (or will be) notified of a hearing on the matter. Go to the hearing and try to prove you are an innocent and injured party.

lovetherea

Thanks

I appreciate your prompt reply. This is actually my father in Ohio. He was advised by the police that he would basically be wasting his time trying to get the car back. It is my dad's car and he does not have much money. He was spending the winter in Florida when my brother was arrested. My brother was using the car while Dad was away. When my dad went back he had no car and the police won't give it back. I guess he'll have to wait for a hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">