• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a case of entrapment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlphaOmega09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan

Hi all,
I was driving home from Central Michigan University and was pulled over for being in the left hand lane on a two lane highway, each side. I gave the trooper my license, registration, and insurance. My record was clean and i haven't been pulled over ever in my past other then a broken license plate light, which the officer politely just warned me about to get fixed and let me go. The state trooper asked if there was anything illegal in the car, which me and my friend answered no, even though my friend had 2.5 grams of marijuana in his bag in the TRUNK. He kept asking over and over, which we answred no. He asked us if he could search my car and i said yes, not thinking he would since there was no probable cause to. He searched my car fully and found the 2.5 grams in my friends bag, he got screwed more then me. My question however is...is this a case of entrapment to search the vehicle? I dont think probable cause is being nervous when answering a question, i think any college student would be nervous i state trooper asked one question repeatedly. Im just wondering if this is a solid case or not for my friend to fight?

Proserpina

No, this is not entrapment.

Google "entrapment" and see what you find - your situation absolutely does not fit the parameters.

The Occultist

You of your own free will gave consent for a search. How can that possibly be entrapment?

(FYI: entrapment is when an officer more or less FORCES you to BREAK THE LAW and then arrests you for it, in very layman's terms, and I think we can all agree that the officer in no way forced you to break the law, n'est-ce pas?)

Proserpina

You of your own free will gave consent for a search. How can that possibly be entrapment?

(FYI: entrapment is when an officer more or less FORCES you to BREAK THE LAW and then arrests you for it, in very layman's terms, and I think we can all agree that the officer in no way forced you to break the law, n'est-ce pas?)

You just made me swoon :eek::D

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan

Hi all,
I was driving home from Central Michigan University and was pulled over for being in the left hand lane on a two lane highway, each side. I gave the trooper my license, registration, and insurance. My record was clean and i haven't been pulled over ever in my past other then a broken license plate light, which the officer politely just warned me about to get fixed and let me go. The state trooper asked if there was anything illegal in the car, which me and my friend answered no, even though my friend had 2.5 grams of marijuana in his bag in the TRUNK. He kept asking over and over, which we answred no. He asked us if he could search my car and i said yes, not thinking he would since there was no probable cause to. He searched my car fully and found the 2.5 grams in my friends bag, he got screwed more then me. My question however is...is this a case of entrapment to search the vehicle? I dont think probable cause is being nervous when answering a question, i think any college student would be nervous i state trooper asked one question repeatedly. Im just wondering if this is a solid case or not for my friend to fight?
Well, Mr. Beginning & the end, you gave the officer permission. Don't ever say anything you don't mean.

:rolleyes: and you want to know if you have a case - dude, you really have to stop smoking the herbs. The only case you have, is the one for pure stupidity :)

swalsh411

The trooper kept asking to search your car because he didn't have probable cause. If he did, he wouldn't have asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">