• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

caught with drugs at canada border.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdogsmooth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

In May of 2008, myself and another person accidentally crossed the border to Windsor, Canada through Detroit, MI. We didn't have proper ID so we were searched and were caught with drug paraphernalia and a very small amount of a Schedule 1 substance. We were told that if we ratted out our dealer we would be let go with a $400 fine. The $400 fine was necessary for me to get my car back. We payed the fine and were let go. We had to return to the US through US customs where we still did not have proper ID. We explained the situation and they very badly wanted to find us guilty of carrying more drugs. They brought out drug dogs and my car was searched again but we didn't have anything, nothing was found. 6 months later, I traveled overseas to London. On the flight there, there were no problems. On the way back, I came through customs in Detroit. They must have me in their customs record because they said there was a problem with my passport, searched all of my family's bags and asked me about the situation while my family was in earshot. No drugs were found in anyone's luggage and we were let go. I'm traveling overseas to London again tomorrow. It's been 1 year and 3ish months since the original incident. I will be leaving through the Detroit airport and I'm not sure if my passport will trigger this record and if I will be questioned on the way there. This seems to be a really unique situation so it's almost impossible to predict what will come. My main concern is making sure my family doesn't become aware and they will be traveling with me again.

racer72

Your name is now on the TSA hot sheet, this means you will be subject to extra searches. You might as well plan on this happening for a while and it would be in your best interest to let your family know why this is happening.

My advice would be to go through customs AWAY from whoever you are travelling with.
Pack your bags carefully. Seperate your contents and use clear zip look bags to seperate items from clothes. Searching will be cleaner and faster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">