• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught For The First Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elfie7x

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

Hi. A few days ago my friends and I were hanging out with my other friend "J". We are all 17 years old. Supposedly J's parents were gonna be out of town until Thursday, but he said it would be alright if we chilled over at his house. By 11 o'clock, we were downstairs watching T.V. and playing pool. Some beer bottles were also left out in the basement, but there was more upstairs. It was around this time that the cops came in with their guns out and told everyone to get on the floor.

They told us we were breaking and entering, even though J lives there. I guess he was supposed to be staying with a friend and his parents didn't want him in the house, so they told the cops to arrest us all (which they didn't). Anyway, we were all searched and everyone was clean but me. The cops found around 1-2 grams of marijuana, a blunt wrap, and a digital scale in my coat pocket. Everything I had in my pocket was for personal use; I had no intent on selling or distributing. The cops didn't breathalyze any of us before releasing us to our parents.

This is the first time I've ever been caught, so I'm really anxious to find out the consequences for what happened. None of us had any idea that we weren't allowed to be there cause J lives there. As for the marijuana and paraphernalia, I'd really like to know how much trouble I could be in and how to get the least possible sentence.

FlyingRon

Why do you have a scale? Personal use my ass. Even if you are splitting up a common purchase among your buddies, you are distributing.

If J didn't have permission to be in the house, he didn't have permission to be there. If the neighbors or parents who expected the house to be empty called the police, then what they did and the searches pursuant are legal.

Possession of small amounts are a civil citation of $100. If that's what you get charge with, you're getting off easy. You can get 30 days and $750 for the paraphernalia Fortunately, Ohio has one of the weakest marijuana distribution laws, so if you had less than a few ounces, you still might escape with the civil citation.

elfie7x

Why do you have a scale? Personal use my ass. Even if you are splitting up a common purchase among your buddies, you are distributing.

If J didn't have permission to be in the house, he didn't have permission to be there. If the neighbors or parents who expected the house to be empty called the police, then what they did and the searches pursuant are legal.

Possession of small amounts are a civil citation of $100. If that's what you get charge with, you're getting off easy. You can get 30 days and $750 for the paraphernalia Fortunately, Ohio has one of the weakest marijuana distribution laws, so if you had less than a few ounces, you still might escape with the civil citation.
I was using the scale to measure how much marijuana I was putting into a blunt. I never weighed out anything for my friends. I had received the scale from a friend a long time ago.

Being 17, am I going to be tried as an adult or will my sentence be adjusted for being a minor? A blunt wrap isn't technically paraphernalia but does it count because I had weed on me? Instead of going to jail, does anybody know what my sentence is likely to be? Also, is there anything I can say that doesn't further incriminate me, especially regarding the scale?

FlyingRon

The scale is paraphernalia by your own admission.
I don't know if the blunt would be considered.

It all depends what they want to charge you with, but as I said, you're probably just going to get off with a citation for a fine.

bitedown420

you will probabely be charged with possesion of less than an ounce and paraphinilia. doesn't really matter if it is for the blunt or the scale, one of the two is going to be paraphinilia. Hopefully you will get a good DA who isn't all to worried about marijuana because its not a big deal. I got off with just taking a drug class and that covered both the tickets. For first time offense I think you can get up to $100 fine for the paraphinilia and $500 and 24 hours useful public service for possesion of less than an ounce.

Have a good attitude, be polite and ask question. Don't simple let them tell you this is how it is going to go, ask them why you are getting the consequences you are but not in a bad deminor. The DA is only there to help you, they can only lessen the punishments, and if your lucky they won't care to much about a little marijuana charge.

elfie7x

I just got back from the probation officer, who works for the city of Dublin. I was charged with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. They offered me a juvenile diversion program which consisted of 40 hours community service, drug classes, and a 6-month probation period. My parent and I didn't sign anything because we needed some time to think. If I don't accept the diversion program, they will send my charges to Franklin County court of Columbus (I was caught by Dublin police).

I still have a few questions. Is it worth getting a lawyer, as I may be tried in court? Is this diversion program a fair offer? I still think this is ridiculous because all 5 of us were involved in drinking and/or smoking, but nobody else is getting charged. Other than J who had to spend a night in juvie (because his parents were out of town), nobody else has ANY consequences. I realize that I was the only one caught with evidence on me, but is it really fair that I am the only one that has to face consequences? Especially with beer bottles lying around and the fact that it was obvious that I was not the only one intoxicated (which I was not charged for)? I'd really appreciate if someone could give me some good advice on getting the lowest possible consequence.

PS: Also, not that I consider paying fines better than a diversion program, but if I have other options please let me know. Thank you.

Last edited:

taro

Having a scale is just stupid. This is the smoking gun use a popsicle stick balanced on a pencil like like the other drug dealers.

onelimited

I just got back from the probation officer, who works for the city of Dublin. I was charged with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. They offered me a juvenile diversion program which consisted of 40 hours community service, drug classes, and a 6-month probation period. My parent and I didn't sign anything because we needed some time to think. If I don't accept the diversion program, they will send my charges to Franklin County court of Columbus (I was caught by Dublin police).

I still have a few questions. Is it worth getting a lawyer, as I may be tried in court? Is this diversion program a fair offer? I still think this is ridiculous because all 5 of us were involved in drinking and/or smoking, but nobody else is getting charged. Other than J who had to spend a night in juvie (because his parents were out of town), nobody else has ANY consequences. I realize that I was the only one caught with evidence on me, but is it really fair that I am the only one that has to face consequences? Especially with beer bottles lying around and the fact that it was obvious that I was not the only one intoxicated (which I was not charged for)? I'd really appreciate if someone could give me some good advice on getting the lowest possible consequence.

PS: Also, not that I consider paying fines better than a diversion program, but if I have other options please let me know. Thank you.

Sing birdie sing

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">