• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught with an Oz. of weed but no arrest made

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chokeahoe1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
California (San Francisco)

My uncle from Alaska and I were going to pick up an ounce (approx. 28 grams) of marijuana from my friends house. We already had a half an ounce on us.My friend came into the car and gave us the weed and then we dropped him off back at his house. Then we went off to eat at another part of San Francisco. In a parking lot, we stepped out of our car and some undercover officers confronted us. They asked us if "T******a rang a bell?" With the officer telling me that, it was obvious he had followed me all the way from my friends house. They questioned me but I kept my mouth shut. My uncle, on the other hand talked. He told them who and where we got the weed from. The officers made it clear we werent the ones they were going after. They confiscated our weed but gave back a few joints. We gave them our contact information and they said they would be contacting us soon. They didn't arrest us but actually let us go. This happened several weeks ago.

Here is my problem: Since they didn't arrest us, can they hold drug charges over my head as a threat? And for how long? They've called but I've avoided the calls. It seems like they want me to be a Narc for them so that they can get to bigger fish (presumably my friend or my friend's hook-up). That's something I do not want to do. What should I do? What are my options? There was no legal documentation made or any formal charges made. So how can they get to me (legally or illegally) just to obtain their objective?

TYRIS

Here is my problem:

Since they didn't arrest us, can they hold drug charges over my head as a threat?
-Due to the amount you had on you, it is a felony posses. Can they hold it over your head? Sure. Just because they did not charge you at the time does not mean that they can not charge you at a later date.

They've called but I've avoided the calls. It seems like they want me to be a Narc for them so that they can get to bigger fish (presumably my friend or my friend's hook-up). That's something I do not want to do. What should I do? What are my options?
-You can do what you want. I won't tell you what you should do....you would'nt listen to me anyways.

Your choices are..Roll on your friend...or take the chances that they file felony charges against you.

Would you go to jail and pay the fines for a friend that may or may not do it for you?

There was no legal documentation made or any formal charges made. So how can they get to me (legally or illegally) just to obtain their objective?
-How do you know that there was no documentation? Trust me, there is always documentation somewhere. If they were doing an undercover op then there may may video or audio as well.

Just because a report has not been filed with the District Attoney's Office as of yet does not mean that a report has not written.

Tyris

Shay-Pari'e

Actually, I think YAG need's his BS meter right about now. That, or this is one for IAAL's list.
(QUOTE)The officers made it clear we werent the ones they were going after. They confiscated our weed but gave back a few joints. (QUOTE)

CdwJava

If the amount was under an ounce and they can't make a case for distribution against you, then the most you likely face is a $100 fine (plus fees and assessments) and no jail time. Possession of less than 28.5 grams of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable as an infraction (i.e. by a fine only).

They likely told you the truth and were looking for someone higher up the food chain.

Take this as a lesson learned and straighten up.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">