• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chances on not getting any jail time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concernedgirlfr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

07/11/2007 someone I know was arrested for possession of Marijauna,

He missed his first court date, turned himself in for the warrant, missed his second court case is out on bond for that warrant.

This is his 4th time being charged with possession.

I was wondering in Maryland what is his chances of not getting any jail time.

ERAUPIKE

His chances of not seeing the inside of a jail are probably very slim. Possession or use of any amount of marijuana is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

concernedgirlfr

Thanks so you think if he shows he is working and being productive this will help?
I am just concerned that he did miss the court dates twice and that this is his 4th time.

swrdmbo

Where did you get the idea that if he is working and productive this will help him stay out of jail ? Does that mean he hasn't been working and being productive but now that he is facing a fourth charge he got a job?

I think the fact that he failed to show up for his court date not once but TWICE (how does that happen by the way ??) and that this is FOURTH time being charged with possession are going to count for much more than the fact he may have a job.

I am sorry to say that I will be very surprised if he does NOT see jail time. Incidentally...this is exactly what the other poster said. I don't see where you are getting hope from his comment quite frankly.

Maybe some time in jail will give your boyfriend time to contemplate the changes he may want to make in his life. Sounds like the life he is living now is not working out so well for him.Hmmmmm...

cyjeff

If nothing else, you can plan on him being imprisoned from the time he is caught until his court date.

He has not exactly shown a good attitude towards bail.

concernedgirlfr

actually i didnt get any hope from the comment, I was just asking another Question, I dont think he deserves to be off free, I was just asking questions so I would know what to expect, this is the first time I have ever been involved with anyone who has been in this situation, so I was really just wondering what to expect.

I do not support drugs or even drinking... these were situations he had before I met him.
I hope that this mess does show him that a life with drugs only leads to a life of destruction,

Thanks for your help

concernedgirlfr

Surprisingly enough, they let him out on bond.

So when someone is out on bond are they allowed to leave the state that they are on bond?

ERAUPIKE

Surprisingly enough, they let him out on bond.

So when someone is out on bond are they allowed to leave the state that they are on bond?
It depends on the bond agreement. In a majority of cases your bondsman will want to know if you plan on even leaving the county.

FlyingRon

What happens if when the court date comes the arresting officer doesnt show up for court?
Thanks
No. They'll just continue it if they need to. The arresting officer actually is not needed. He would only be necessary if his testimony as to witnessing the crime or collecting the evidence is needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">