• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with manufacturing marijuana.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ketamag

Do you mean united states law?

Because this was in Maryland.

And what happened to my last two posts..are you deleting them?

I'm sorry if I was supposed to already know this via the FAQ, but was I not supposed to post this thread here?

Thanks.

ketamag

So they came to my friend's house over a domestic dispute and ended up finding what they said were 5 small plants that would probably weigh about 3-6 grams all together. They were babies.

They said these plants were marijuana.

My friend said he was growing them for hobby and there were a few other plants in there of different species that were not illegal. The plants would probably produce about 3-5 grams of marijuana per plant if harvested in full.

The police found 9 plastic bags and about 200 seeds and so they chose to charge possession with intent to distribute large amount. This means they found 50 pounds or more marijuana and the minimum prison sentence if fought in court is 5 years.

Possession with intent without the large amount means there was under 50 pounds of marijuana and the MAX sentence is 5 years.

I was told my friend's charge could get dropped to a simple possession, for the few grams of plant material containing a low amount or none of THC.

They said the plants were worth 13,500 dollars based on the field officer's "expertise in this area". If I could make an estimated guess, I'd say my friend could harvest and sell the little "marijuana" they said he was growing and make MAX 240 dollars.

My friend was in county jail for about 30 days, recently his lawyer told him his charge is manufacturing, after meeting with the state attorney's assistant and the judge assigned his case.

His lawyer told him he could receive 30 days served time, a few years probation with a few years back up time (if he violates prob. he goes to prison), a court order to take drug classes which could last anywhere from 3 months to a couple years, and a prison sentence that will be "suspended".

So what should be done? I am trying to get him to go to drug classes before court because I hear that they look upon that kind of stuff like you are a saint and trying to change your life, etc etc, and will lower your sentences.

He has a paid lawyer.

outonbail

What do you want to do?

If you take the deal and opt for the drug classes, it shouldn't be because someone told you that you will look like a saint, because you will not. You will look like every other first time offender who's playing the system and using this first time drug diversion opportunity as a way of avoiding time in jail.

If you truly plan on attending the classes and making your drug use a thing of the past, then it is a recommended path that can help you get there.

But you should realize that you miss a couple of classes or turn in a dirty test and it's all over but dropping the soap in your over-crowded cell.

So it is really something you have to decide. Ask yourself a few questions. Like: Does the arrest get dropped if you successfully complete the drug diversion? Can you make it to these classes on your own or will you need to rely on other people to drive you to class? Are you going to be hanging out with your same friends? (which ultimately results in you continuing to use) How much $ will it cost to go to trial if you don't take the deal?

Bottom line, it's your decision. I just recommend that whatever it is you agree to do, as it will be a written order by the court, you take very seriously and do everything the court requires. If they are asking more than you feel comfortable with, like making monthly payments you don't think you will be able to make, then let your attorney know so he/she can try to negotiate terms, lower payments to an amount you will be able make and basically just be sure you can abide by everything expected of you.

ketamag

What do you want to do?

If you take the deal and opt for the drug classes, it shouldn't be because someone told you that you will look like a saint, because you will not. You will look like every other first time offender who's playing the system and using this first time drug diversion opportunity as a way of avoiding time in jail.
Right, but deep down I kind of hope this will be some type of turning point for me, being locked up already forced some kind of change.

If you truly plan on attending the classes and making your drug use a thing of the past, then it is a recommended path that can help you get there.

But you should realize that you miss a couple of classes or turn in a dirty test and it's all over but dropping the soap in your over-crowded cell.
Don't know about the soap but yea, I know I'll have to stick with my decision, whether it's my own will, or walls that hold me in.

So it is really something you have to decide. Ask yourself a few questions. Like: Does the arrest get dropped if you successfully complete the drug diversion? Can you make it to these classes on your own or will you need to rely on other people to drive you to class? Are you going to be hanging out with your same friends? (which ultimately results in you continuing to use) How much $ will it cost to go to trial if you don't take the deal?
I will keep these things in mind, I would hope to get PBJ and get my record kept clean, I have a clean record besides this.

Bottom line, it's your decision. I just recommend that whatever it is you agree to do, as it will be a written order by the court, you take very seriously and do everything the court requires. If they are asking more than you feel comfortable with, like making monthly payments you don't think you will be able to make, then let your attorney know so he/she can try to negotiate terms, lower payments to an amount you will be able make and basically just be sure you can abide by everything expected of you.
Alright, thank you for your advice, it was very helpful.

JETX

Do you mean united states law?
And what other interpretation would you give to "US LAW ONLY"?

Because this was in Maryland.
Then why didn't you say that when the forum software asked WHERE?? Instead, you deleted the question of "WHERE?".

And what happened to my last two posts..are you deleting them?
Yep.
1) US LAW ONLY.
2) No duplicate posts!

Pretty simple 'rules' for anyone who has any intelligence.

ketamag

And what other interpretation would you give to "US LAW ONLY"?

Thanks for reinforcing my observation.

2) No duplicate posts!
Can you put the post you deleted back?

Pretty simple 'rules' for anyone who has any intelligence.
So can you help put the post back? I did write it for a purpose you know, if you could help me achieve this purpose instead of deleting my posts, you might be considered more helpful.

Just a suggestion.

RobWallace94802

Lookout man

So they came to my friend's house over a domestic dispute and ended up finding what they said were 5 small plants that would probably weigh about 3-6 grams all together. They were babies.

They said these plants were marijuana.

My friend said he was growing them for hobby and there were a few other plants in there of different species that were not illegal. The plants would probably produce about 3-5 grams of marijuana per plant if harvested in full.

The police found 9 plastic bags and about 200 seeds and so they chose to charge possession with intent to distribute large amount. This means they found 50 pounds or more marijuana and the minimum prison sentence if fought in court is 5 years.

Possession with intent without the large amount means there was under 50 pounds of marijuana and the MAX sentence is 5 years.

I was told my friend's charge could get dropped to a simple possession, for the few grams of plant material containing a low amount or none of THC.

They said the plants were worth 13,500 dollars based on the field officer's "expertise in this area". If I could make an estimated guess, I'd say my friend could harvest and sell the little "marijuana" they said he was growing and make MAX 240 dollars.

My friend was in county jail for about 30 days, recently his lawyer told him his charge is manufacturing, after meeting with the state attorney's assistant and the judge assigned his case.

His lawyer told him he could receive 30 days served time, a few years probation with a few years back up time (if he violates prob. he goes to prison), a court order to take drug classes which could last anywhere from 3 months to a couple years, and a prison sentence that will be "suspended".

So what should be done? I am trying to get him to go to drug classes before court because I hear that they look upon that kind of stuff like you are a saint and trying to change your life, etc etc, and will lower your sentences.

He has a paid lawyer.
If you are an accomplice to this grow operation you need to do the honest thing and turn yourself in to the police. It sounds like you knew about the plants. Do the right thing and do your time man.

outonbail

If you are an accomplice to this grow operation you need to do the honest thing and turn yourself in to the police. It sounds like you knew about the plants. Do the right thing and do your time man.
Rob, I can appreciate that you are new here and in fact have apparently gone through the registration process just to post your insightful advice to this thread.

However, we generally try not to dig up old posts for pointless reasons. Granted this one was laid to rest just under two months ago, but your post does fit right in there with the description of pointless.

Try to stick to current posts and most of all, take the time to read them before offering your astute observations, as well as any clueless opinion(s) you may have,,,,

anticrom

how dare you ROB
you are clearly ignorant as to marijuana laws and the history of marijuana prohibition in this country. Telling anybody to submit to the cruel and unusual prohibition laws of the United states isn't only ignorant, its down right stupid. Please only offer positive support
To the admins: sorry for posting on a dead thread but wow**************

CdwJava

Anticrom, while I am not supporting Rob's post, this site is not here to provide "positive" posts, but, instead, legal ones.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">