• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class C Misdemeanor -- Do I need a lawyer ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juquay12

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

I was recently charged with possesion of under 2.5 grams of marijuana. I got a state class c misdemeanor from the cops even though I only had like .7 because I have priors. My first question is why were these charges visible, I thought they were expunged by my previous lawyer. These charges were for stealing possesion of alc and a few traffic tickets for speeding and an accident. I had a lawyer for the alcohol and stealing charge but now my parents said I am 18 and on my own with a lawyer. I have no money and a job that pays very little in order to make a few grand i will be working for months and spending all of my money that i would have for college next year. It's really hard for me to shell out all of the money when last time i got a lawyer my friend who didnt got the same number of service hours, meaning i didnt really NEED a lawyer. If i am trying to work this out so it will be expunged do i NEED a lawyer this time around. I will show up to court looking very profession and am a harmless 18 year old girl. Should i get a lawyer? and also how do i get my record expunged?

thanks for the help! i really need it

-- on a side note is there any way that the college I am attending (in another state) can find out about this and take disciplinary action? My high school already said I am suspended from school activities but thats all

FlyingRon

If you're charged with a misdemeanor the answer is almost always YES to "do I need a lawyer."

Expungement doesn't mean the police and prosecution won't see it on subsequent arrests, just that it doesn't become publicly viewable. Without knowing the details (and your lawyer is the person to discuss them with), we can't tell you if they will have any effect on your punishment for the current charges. Normally you'd be eligible for two years of probation and eventual dismissal of the charges, but your priors may screw that.

If you are indigent and can't afford a lawyer, rather than just being unwilling to pay for one, you can get a public defender.

You're about to go up for something you admit to being guilty of and you are worried about expungement? You're putting the cart way before the horse, sweetie. Batting your eyes at the judge as a sweet young woman, isn't going to make these charges go away either.

Certainly your school might take action, but probably not likely.
What is going to be a bigger issue is that if you were planning on getting any FEDERAL financial aid, a drug conviction may disqualify you for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">