• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class C Misdemeanor possesion, first time offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrod525

Texas

On Saturday, October 20th I was involved in a motor vehicle accident in which I was the passenger in a vehicle that rear ended a crime scene unit vehicle. I was arrested on a Class C Misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge for having zero to two ounces (less than 2 grams) and for a paraphernalia charge, neither of which were mine. The driver of the vehicle I was in, that was arrested with me is prepared to sign an affidavit attesting the fact that both the marijuana and paraphernalia was theirs. I did everything in my power to cooperate with the officer and was completely honest and good natured about the entire ordeal. I was not mirandized until after being detained for over 5 hours, and wasn’t made aware of the charges until then as well. This was a first offense and I had no prior record. Until recently I was a ACCD student working on my associate degree in psychology and only have another semester or two to finish and I‘m worried this may effect my finical aid. I just started a new job at the Infonxx call center and I fear that because it is mandatory to finish the first two weeks of training I will be fired due to the fact that I have court the second to the last day of training. I have never been in a situation like this before and do not know how this will effect my future as far as getting into a university or a better job are concerned. I’m wondering if I will be looking at jail time or probation, and do people in similar situations ever get off with a fine?

lrod525

even if the marijuana was on my person and I admitted to having it? it wasn't mine but it was on me, the person I was with gave it to me and in a daze after being in the accident I took it not even thinking.

HomeGuru

even if the marijuana was on my person and I admitted to having it? it wasn't mine but it was on me, the person I was with gave it to me and in a daze after being in the accident I took it not even thinking.
**A: ok, I am sure the judge would want to know the truth.

lrod525

I planned on telling the truth, as not doing so would only incriminate me further. Do you think that in being so honest with the arresting officer and also when I face the judge will lessen the severity of the punishment? I've heard that I will more than likely be getting probation, but with my limited transportation, work, and school schedules it will be almost impossible to keep up with it all. Can I turn down the probation and just pay a fine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">