• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clean record, no priors inquiring about (NYS 221.05) please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s54mseries

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYS P.L. 221.05

Let me start by saying that I'm a decent person. I have no priors or never been arrested before this event, ever, just three traffic tickets which were dismissed.

I don't condone the use of drugs and very rarely smoke marijuana. It's really just a vice for me once in a while.

The other night a friend and I were in my car rolling up what you would call a $10 bag into a joint. Happens that two undercover detectives come up to my car, I was in the driver seat, car turned off in the back of a gas station (I know it's lame and stupid). They then proceed to take us out of the car, ask for our ID's and if there is anything besides the bag of pot in my lap and rolling paper. I then tell him that in the rear seat of my car there is a one other $10 bag of pot in a small white box. I was completely caught off guard and scared to death because this has never happened to me before. He asked if there was anything else in the car, drugs, weapsons, etc., to which I said the only things are the (2) dime bags of marijuana. They search the car and only find those two dime bags which is no more than 1.5-2.0 grams. The car and my license came up clean. No warrants, tickets, etc.

At this point, my friend and I are almost pooping our pants because contrary to what you may think, besides smoking a couple dollars of marijuana once in a while, we have never been arrested, ticketed for anything in our 24 years besides some traffic and speeding tickets.

We're then placed under arrest, hand cuffed and brought to the police station. From there we were put in a holding cell without hand cuffs and written up for (NYS P.L. 221.05) unlawful possession of marijuana. The detectives, which were very nice btw, said this will be nothing more severe than a traffic ticket and involve a monetary fine.

My questions to you well educated people are please:
1) Since I have no priors, arrests, no outstanding tickets,etc., how will this fare in Nassau County? It seems that the fine is $100 and may include court fee's and/or community service.

2 and most important) Will this offense be on our permanent record? I'm under the impression that this isn't a criminal charge, only a violation? The detectives told us that it wouldn't be on our record. We weren't even finger printed, photo, etc. Also that if asked for employment if we ever were convicted of a crime, that truthfully we could answer no.

3) Is there a chance this can just be dismissed on our court date? The detectives said that since they "liked" us and deal with "more scumbags" than this, that the way he wrote it up the judge will "almost" laugh when he looks at the report.

Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate these types of forums and the community of people that read and post here.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">