• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College and Drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeMonte

Hello, I am a student at the University of Lousiville, and this sunday, November 25th, I was caught smoking weed in my friend's dorm room. The university police did not come in or search the room. All thy had was the smell and my red eyes. We never once confirmed we had any drugs or were using any drugs. They only took down our names and student ID's. I believe that I am free from true legal punishment, because they would have at least told us we were going to jail or what not. They never mentioned any form of punishment, scholastic or legal.

I was wondering if they could still slap me with a school punishment? Three days later I have still not received any notice that I am to appear before a student board or anything like that. My school has a three strikes policy, but they would have to tell you if you had a strike wouldn't they? Sorry if this is not what you usually deal with, but I appreciate any and all advicel. Thank you very much for your time.

sandyclaus

Hello, I am a student at the University of Lousiville, and this sunday, November 25th, I was caught smoking weed in my friend's dorm room. The university police did not come in or search the room. All thy had was the smell and my red eyes. We never once confirmed we had any drugs or were using any drugs. They only took down our names and student ID's. I believe that I am free from true legal punishment, because they would have at least told us we were going to jail or what not. They never mentioned any form of punishment, scholastic or legal.

I was wondering if they could still slap me with a school punishment? Three days later I have still not received any notice that I am to appear before a student board or anything like that. My school has a three strikes policy, but they would have to tell you if you had a strike wouldn't they? Sorry if this is not what you usually deal with, but I appreciate any and all advicel. Thank you very much for your time.
From your own student Residence Hall policy (http://louisville.edu/housing/policies/standards/hallpolicies.html#alcohol-and-drug-policy):
Alcohol and Drug Policy
Violations of these policies may result in parental notification. Additionally, second alcohol offenses are referred to Dean of Students for adjudication and could result in university-wide probation. Third offenses will result in dismissal from the university.
If residents or guests of the residence halls are found with alcohol in their possession, they will be asked by the staff to dispose of the alcohol by pouring it out, and their behavior will be documented for follow up by the resident director.
The possession and/or use of illegal drugs are not tolerated in the University community and will result in severe sanctions ranging from mandatory substance abuse assessment to termination of the housing agreement. After an initial offense, the resident is referred for a substance abuse assessment. If a second offense occurs, that resident’s housing agreement will be terminated. The sale of illegal drugs will result in immediate termination from housing and possible criminal prosecution. Residents can expect periodic drug searches utilizing a trained police dog. Those residents found in possession of illegal drugs could lose their housing.
Also note the school's commitment as a drug-free institution: http://louisville.edu/hr/policies/drugfree.html

There's nothing in there about warning you in advance of any punishments. If you are of the belief that you may get some kind of warning before they take some kind of punitive action, then you would be sadly mistaken. Consider the fact that you got caught as your first and only real warning, and understand that the penalties can be severe if you decide to break those rules again.

LeMonte

First off, that is absolutely and utterly ridiculous that they would tell your parents. I just find that so pathetic. This is not high school. We are supposed to be treated like adults, but when punishment comes in, they run to mommy and daddy. My parents already know anyhow. I just personally find that very offensive and wrong. Could you help me interpret the part where it says "After an initial offense, the resident is referred for a substance abuse assessment." What does this mean? I only assumed they would have to tell you, because how else would you know that you had to attend drug classes or whatever they decide is the appropriate punishment? Say I do receive drug classes or whatnot, how would they go about telling me I had to attend them?

Silverplum

First off, that is absolutely and utterly ridiculous that they would tell your parents. I just find that so pathetic. This is not high school. We are supposed to be treated like adults, but when punishment comes in, they run to mommy and daddy.
The one/s paying the bills. :cool:

:rolleyes:

LeMonte said:
My parents already know anyhow. I just personally find that very offensive and wrong.
The Earth shakes with the wrongness of your offense.

:rolleyes:

LeMonte

The context of my words are lost in the internet. I did not mean they absolutely would, but rather that they may tell. It is just a personal feeling I have that such measures are petty, and should not be used except in serious cases, such as assault or academic dishonesty. Never the less, that is only my opinion, and I greatly respect yours and agree with it to an extent. They should know if they are footing the bill.

Back to the question, what is a substance abuse assessment?

OHRoadwarrior

Since mommy and daddy are usually paying part or most of your tuition, the university prefers to advise the most responsible parties involved, before you get kicked out and blacklisted so all the money they invested goes down the tubes and you need to repay any student loans for not completing the semester.

sandyclaus

You, and your parents, if they were paying for your education, were given the school's policies and practices before you started to attend there.

If you don't like their policies, You're certainly free to withdraw from their educational institution and took your business elsewhere. I'm sure that the school would appreciate not having someone of your particular mindset in attendance there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't see a legal correlation between paying the tuition and being informed of an adult student's progress (or behavior).
Really? So, acceptance of this consequence by the student as a condition of attendance doesn't match your definition of "legal correlation?"

Silverplum

I don't see a legal correlation between paying the tuition and being informed of an adult student's progress (or behavior).
Because you don't read or think, I suppose.

If Zigner's response didn't do it, try post 8 of this thread:
Since mommy and daddy are usually paying part or most of your tuition, the university prefers to advise the most responsible parties involved, before you get kicked out and blacklisted so all the money they invested goes down the tubes and you need to repay any student loans for not completing the semester.

davew128

Citing two incorrect posts to refute mine isn't helping your cause. We're talking about ADULTS in COLLEGE. Not MINORS in HIGH SCHOOL. By the way, if said parents were to ask the college about the student's grades, do you think the response from the school would be any different than if you or I asked for them? I highly doubt it.

mmmagique

Citing two incorrect posts to refute mine isn't helping your cause. We're talking about ADULTS in COLLEGE. Not MINORS in HIGH SCHOOL. By the way, if said parents were to ask the college about the student's grades, do you think the response from the school would be any different than if you or I asked for them? I highly doubt it.
Because it's in the rules they signed before the school accepted the OP as a student? It's not illegal, it's in their agreement, so, it is what it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">