• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concert

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ebjack4

I was caught with a joint at a concert. I got a ticket for drug paraphenalia. Should I fight it or just pay the ticket. this is in texas

calatty

Whether you should fight it depends. If the police searched you illegally when they found the joint, then you should fight the charge. If you were innocent, you should fight the charge. If the search was legal and you weren't innocent, you should consider yourself lucky to be charged with possession of paraphernalia instead of drugs and just pay the ticket.

E

ebjack4

I called a lawyer and he suggested deferred adjudication.Should cost me about 400 dollars.

F

FKNA

You can look at it a couple of ways....as you already stated, you were caught red handed and the cop was nice enough to write it up as "drug paraphnelia". So you could see it as a blessing and just pay the fine......or, depending on how he wrote up the ticket, you may want to fight it. If it simply says "drug paraphnelia" I'd suggest heading down to your local head shop and buying a simple pipe (not bong), show up to court with it and present it as evidence in your defense. Request a jury trial and I don't see how a jury of six would convict you.

calatty

Deferred adjudication generally involves a form of probation without conviction. It is usually granted in first time drug offenses. If that is what the attorney is talking about, go for it. $400 is a decent fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">