• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused about first possesion charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thayre11

What is the name of your state? Kalamazoo, Michigan

Im going to college at western michigan university right now. I am 18 and the only trouble ive gotten in involved traffic violations.
Earlier tonight i was smoking pot in my dormroom with 3 others. The cops knocked on our door and i hid a large bag of weed that was not mine and i did not buy(not sure how much). They came in saying there were reports of marijuana smells coming from our room. I eventually retrieved the bag from out from under my mattress and gave it to them. They also confiscated a piece from one of my friends. Nobody told the police who's marijuana it was. The marijuana is not mine (which i told them), but since i had to hide it under my bed they plugged me with the possesion. I was not arrested at all. They didn't give me a ticket or any information. They took the bag and bowl and just left saying i would have to call in and plead guilty.

What should i do?? Do you think they will follow up on making my charge official? If they do, what can i expect if i plead not guilty or guilty?? Also, is it possible to go through with this without my parents finding out??

help me out please this sucks

The Occultist

Ownership has NOTHING to do with possession. You were, legally speaking, in possession of both the marijuana AND the paraphernalia.

Since the incident occurred on campus, they will most likely followup on the situation and make the charges official. Colleges are required to enforce a zero-tolerance policy with these matters, and if they don't, they could lose out on certain government payouts, so you bet they'll be pressing charges.

If you are 18, then there is no legal reason for your parents to find out. HOWEVER, again, since this occurred on campus, your parents most likely will become privy to the situation. Most universities have adopted the policy of informing parents of such matters.

There have been plenty of threads on this board regarding first-time possession in MI and the typically offered deferred prosecution. There is a search bar towards the top of the page, I advise you utilize that nifty function.

JETX

What should i do??
First, make every effort to benefit from your education. Your typo and grammatical error-filled post shows you need your education.

Do you think they will follow up on making my charge official?
Yep.

If they do, what can i expect if i plead not guilty or guilty??
We are not your legal research company. Read your state penal code.

Also, is it possible to go through with this without my parents finding out??
You are a legal adult... as such, you have no legal obligation to bring them into this. However, you are a fool if you don't.

help me out please this sucks
Hope you weren't on a scholarship... because it is likely to be dumped. Now, THAT sucks!! LOL

seniorjudge

Here's a good example of possession: "The cops knocked on our door and i hid a large bag of weed that was not mine and i did not buy(not sure how much)."

quincy

Michigan's penalties for use of marijuana (a misdemeanor) is up to 90 days in jail and/or $100 fine. Possession of marijuana, in any amount, is up to 1 year in jail and/or a $2000 fine.

Conditional discharges are available in all use and possession cases. You can opt for probation rather than a trial. After probation, your record will be clean - there will be no record of your use or possession (this is assuming you do not get caught using or possessing marijuana again during your probation). Second offenses tend to bring a harsher penalties, so be warned. And alcohol offenses are dealt with more strictly than marijuana use, especially if you are behind the wheel of a car.

(and seniorjudge, with enough, you are too happy to care :))

Ozark_Sophist

You may also be removed from campus -- at least on campus housing and perhaps school? Would you like your parents to find out then or now?

quincy

Actually, Ozark, Michigan universities don't notify parents of student activities (even the illegal ones), for the most part (some small private colleges might still). And marijuana offenses are treated more like parking tickets on university campuses here (first offenses, at least). No kicking out of college dorms. No kicking out of school. No notifying parents. Just probation and a fine. Ann Arbor issues $25 tickets for marijuana use, and has a medical marijuana ordinance, too.

We are a relatively laid-back bunch here in Michigan - which is perhaps why Michigan leads the nation in unemployment. ;)

JETX

Actually, Ozark, Michigan universities don't notify parents of student activities (even the illegal ones), for the most part (some small private colleges might still).
What the hell are you talking about??
Ozark never said anything about the school notifying the parents!!

Last edited:

thayre11

nevermind

JETX
Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thayre11
What should i do??

First, make every effort to benefit from your education. Your typo and grammatical error-filled post shows you need your education.

Thank you, Jet X, for your meaningless advice to a problem i wasn't addresing. I am completely capable of justifiying enough effort to actually worry about concieving a post that reflects a higher education. I was trying to exemplify a worried and rushed tone in my post, so i could recieve more answers that do not involve gauging the importance of my school work.

JETX

Thank you, Jet X, for your meaningless advice to a problem i wasn't addresing.
Addressing??

I am completely capable of justifiying
Justifying??

enough effort to actually worry about concieving
Conceiving??

I was trying to exemplify a worried and rushed tone in my post, so i could recieve
Receive??

more answers that do not involve gauging the importance of my school work.
No such word as 'gauging'.
Did you mean GAGING?
Or maybe GOUGING??

BTW, thank you for making my case for me.
"make every effort to benefit from your education. Your typo- and grammar-filled post shows you need your education."
:D

quincy

Actually, JetX, "gauging" is a word.

Gauging means to 1. measure accurately by means of a gauge, or 2. to measure the size, amount, extent, or capacity of, or 3. to estimate, judge, appraise, or 4. to bring to correct gauge, make conform with a standard, or 5. masonry to cut or rub (bricks or stone) to a desired shape, or 6. plastering to mix in the proportion required for a specified setting time.

Although thayre11's sentence was a bit awkward, he used the word "gauging" properly (definition 3 would work).

Last edited:

The Occultist

Gauging means to 1. measure accurately by means of a gauge, or 2. to measure the size, amount, extent, or capacity of, or 3. to estimate, judge, appraise, or 4. to bring to correct gauge, make conform with a standard, or 5. masonry to cut or rub (bricks or stone) to a desired shape, or 6. plastering to mix in the proportion required for a specified setting time.

Although thayre11's sentence was a bit awkward, he used the word "gauging" properly (definition 3 would work).
I like definition 5; I think I'm going to incorporate it more into my vocabulary. Well, I gotta go out back and gauge out a duck!

JETX

You're correct. My built-in spell checker caught it as misspelled and I should have checked further... though I don't believe that the OP is intelligent enough to intend ANY of the offered definitions..... and was still in error. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">