• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conspiracy charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soflawrongplace

What is the name of your state? Florida

Based on Florida state law, can they charge multiple conspiracy charges because one person had multiple types of drugs they were bringing to ONE undercover sting? 1.Conspiracy to traffic cocaine,2.conspiracy to traffic MDMA,3.conspiracy of possession marj. w/intent to sell, and 4.conspiracy of possession of controlled substance w/intent to sell. I thought there could only be 1 conspiracy at a time.

soflawrongplace

As noted in Epps v. State,
354 So. 2d 441, 442 (Fla. 1st DCA 1978), "[a] single conspiracy may have for its object
the violation of two or more criminal laws or two or more substantive offenses. The conspiracy is still one offense, no matter how many repeated violations of the law may
have been the object of the conspiracy."A criminal conspiracy is the agreement to commit a criminal act or acts,and if a single agreement exists, only one conspiracy exists even if the conspiracy has as its objectives the commission of multiple offenses.

Does this stand true as in my case where the my codefendant was charged with all the actual possession charges and I only acted as a taxi giving him a ride?

The Occultist

The important part of my post was the bit about getting a lawyer. You will likely need one. He can explain the relevant laws to you.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Florida

Based on Florida state law, can they charge multiple conspiracy charges because one person had multiple types of drugs they were bringing to ONE undercover sting? 1.Conspiracy to traffic cocaine,2.conspiracy to traffic MDMA,3.conspiracy of possession marj. w/intent to sell, and 4.conspiracy of possession of controlled substance w/intent to sell. I thought there could only be 1 conspiracy at a time.
Sounds like overcharging to me.

Prosecutors like to do that so they will seem to have more to plea bargain with the defendant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">