• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumption of Alcohol by minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrainwreckWebb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

The police showed up at my sisters house. There was 7 of us in the house. Four ran,(I stayed being the only minor) admitted to taking 5 shots.I refused a breathalyzer saying I know my rights, the cop laughed and yelled hes refusing and put me in cuffs. Fastfoward 3 months, I am being charged as an adult with the crime, " Consumption of alcohol by a minor" ( someone please explain how I am being charged as an adult with the crime only being a crime if your minor) So I was (differed I think) to where i have to stay out of trouble and do community service, along with alcohol assessment. Now I know that the alcohol assessment is just a scam to get money, where the minimum class level is 10 classes being 40$ a pop. Now me being an adult in the eyes of the law, can I claim I do not have the finances to pay for even the first assessment which is 65$. I do have a job which i make minimum wage, so I dont have the finances. So can I make North Carolina pay for it because I do not have the money.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

The police showed up at my sisters house. There was 7 of us in the house. Four ran,(I stayed being the only minor) admitted to taking 5 shots.I refused a breathalyzer saying I know my rights, the cop laughed and yelled hes refusing and put me in cuffs. Fastfoward 3 months, I am being charged as an adult with the crime, " Consumption of alcohol by a minor" ( someone please explain how I am being charged as an adult with the crime only being a crime if your minor) So I was (differed I think) to where i have to stay out of trouble and do community service, along with alcohol assessment. Now I know that the alcohol assessment is just a scam to get money, where the minimum class level is 10 classes being 40$ a pop. Now me being an adult in the eyes of the law, can I claim I do not have the finances to pay for even the first assessment which is 65$. I do have a job which i make minimum wage, so I dont have the finances. So can I make North Carolina pay for it because I do not have the money.
How old are you?

Some Random Guy

So can I make North Carolina pay for it because I do not have the money.
No. But you are free to ignore the requirements of your diversion program. Of course, you may find the consequences of this to be harder on your pocketbook than the sweet deal you were given originally.

TrainwreckWebb

No. But you are free to ignore the requirements of your diversion program. Of course, you may find the consequences of this to be harder on your pocketbook than the sweet deal you were given originally.
What if i just refuse and say ill spend the night in jail, does anyone know the days it would be for underage drinking with no BAC just my statement of five shots

dave33

You made a statement of guilt. Whatever the BAC was does not matter at this point. To refuse the order will make the situation worse. Perhaps there are other avenues you can look into. Maybe you can look into getting an assesment done elsewhere. Make some calls, there has got to be some financial relief in the alcohol/drug programs. In my state they call it a sliding scale. Also being underage has got to work to your advantage somehow, you just have to find out how. I do not think the situation is as bad as you have convinced yourself it is.Keep looking for options.goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">