• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing and allowing Consumption of Alcohol by Minors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tricky1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Note: I put this here because I didn't think it would fit in Juvenile law since the accused is a legal Adult.

I am out of town for the weekend, and my friend calls me up and says "Guess what happened to me."

Story goes:
He was at a party at one of his minor friends which was all minors except for himself(he turned 21 in November). He claims when he got there there were cars blocking the streets. He goes inside and joins in the festivities. Apparently a neighbor called the police on a noise complaint, so they came and investigated. Well the normal banging on the door for an alleged 45 minutes. Finally somehow the police entered and began arrests and allegedly arrested all the minors. However they did not arrest my friend but instead told him to come down to the station on Tuesday for booking. Apparently they want to charge him with 20 counts of Contributing and Allowing Consumption of Alcohol by Minors.

This is his first offense and until he turned 21 he never touched a drop of alcohol that I knew of. He claims he provided none of the alcohol for the party, and I would assume that the burden of the proof in this case would be on the officers and states attorney. Also I though the allowing was only applicable in the case of the parent/guardians at their property. Seeing that he was an invitee can he be held responsible as he was the oldest there?

I did read thorough 235 ILCS 5/6-16 which contains most of the info on this and it looks like he may be in for it. He did get a public defender. What do you all think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">