• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

convicted felon rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melty

I was convicted of CA Health & Safety 11359 in 1996, served time, completed my probation, and registered as a drug offender for 5 yrs, as required and without incident. I have not had my felony expunged nor my rights restored and am wondering whether 1) I have to disclose this conviction (being > ten yrs old and a marijuana related offense) in the state of WA, my new residence, in order to obtain employment; 2) if I can legally work in a sporting goods store which also sells guns? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

1) I have to disclose this conviction (being > ten yrs old and a marijuana related offense) in the state of WA, my new residence, in order to obtain employment;
If they ask about convictions, yes ... why wouldn't you have to? Maybe you'll be lucky and they will ask only about convictions in the last 5 years or something like that (I wouldn't count on that, however).

2) if I can legally work in a sporting goods store which also sells guns? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pursuant to federal law (and, I suspect, WA state law) you cannot own or POSSESS a firearm because of the felony conviction. So, the answer should be, "no".

- Carl

melty

Hi, Carl,

Thank you for your reply.

why wouldn't you have to?
Some places actually exclude convictions that are more than X yrs old, and others exclude marijuana-related offenses; it's usually stated right on the application. I guess my questions are really: What is the extent of a background check? How far back do they typically look? What exactly do they look for? If I'm convicted in one state, will the offense turn up in another?

I understand the black and white of possession, but I wonder if I didn't actually handle/ sell the guns, if I could work in another department within the same facility. You know, the gray area. Not worth the risk, though, considering the penalty. (5-15 yrs)

I just need a job, and the sporting goods place is hiring.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">