• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop smelled something at door. Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djcam

Indiana

I was at a friends house and was getting ready to leave when the second I opened the door to walk out, a cop was standing right there at the door. He asked if I was the resident, I said no. My buddy comes out to talk confirms he is the resident. Cop says he smells something I say I don't smell anything officer but honestly I'm going to remain silent. He goes why do you have something to hide? No , I just prefer to remain silent when talking with police. It's my constitutional right. The cop identifies himself as an officer and the apartment complex courtesy officer. My buddy is tricked into giving out information and also by giving out some from me. Although he never admitted to having it, he gave the cop enough info to search. Luckily for us, he said he's not a dick but told us to clean that **** up. I did say numerous times am I being detained or am I free to go. He never gave me a direct answer. He just I'm not detaining you, I'd ask, am I free to go. He said I'm not telling you anything. So can I leave? He still was silent and ignored. I wasn't smoking , but he accused me of blood shot eyes. I worked all day and and also worked out with caffeine stimulants as well. Of course my eyes were red. Anyways, this is going to be reported to the apartment complex. Since only my name and date of birth was given , he didn't have much to go off of except that my friend said that I lived I'm the complex which was stupid of him. I'm sure my strict apartment management is going to call.

Can they search my place?
What can they do to me since I was just there?
If they question Me, what info do I give?
What are my rights in this situation?

The management isn't too fond of me because of some complaints I've made in the past buy I'm sure they will pursue me immediately. Please give me advice! ( by the way, no narcotics in my apartment at all. I got rid of it as soon as I got home. I am a user of it for medicinal purposes ( not legally) but wasn't involved I'm the smoking and no smoking occurred while I was there. I was there visiting for a few to talk about work.

FlyingRon

When you've been living in (and likely participating in) smoking marijuana your ability to smell it is pretty strongly gone. Those who are living in the fresh air and not illegally doing drugs have no problem detecting it.

If the person who portends to me the resident (owner or tenant) authorizes the search, the police don't need a warrant or any other cause to conduct the search. Your friend could have refused and then we'd have to analyze what would have possibly happened next.

If you were deemed to be in constructive possession of drugs, you could have been arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced.

I'd not give any more information than your name unless you had an attorney present.

The management has plenty of rights not to be fond of those using their properties as drug houses. It can come back and bite them in the ass because of your ongoing criminal activity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">