• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Charge For Overdose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pday

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I just tried to post this but I was told I was no longer logged in. If this is a duplicate, I apologize.

A close friend just overdosed on heroin. He is on life support with what appears to be no chance of recovery. In fact, they are taking him off life support this evening. He's 26 and as far as I know, has never tried heroin before this incident.

From what I've found out, he was with some girlfriend (and possibly 2 of her friends) he had been hanging out with for the last week or so. He tried the heroin and lost consciousness. The others tried to bring him to and I'm guessing he regained some sort awareness but was still foaming at the mouth and very out of it. The people then left him alone (at one of their apartments) and went to find more dope. When they returned, my friend was blue and had stopped breathing for God knows how long. From there, someone not directly involved in the situation found out and told the girlfriend that if she didn't call an ambulance, they were calling the cops on her.

The ambulance was successful in resuscitation but all organs had shut down and there was no brain activity. He was only breathing with the help of a machine and the doctors now think his condition is as good as it's going to get which is very bad. My question is will this girl face criminal charges for leaving my friend alone to die? Will she be held responsible for not getting help sooner? Had the ambulance been called immediately, he may have survived.

I do know the girlfriend came up to the hospital and there was a huge scene. I didn't get the entire story but I believe she was arrested for possessing heroin and there was also some incriminating text messages regarding my friend and the overdose. However, she is no longer in jail.

I know this girl is probably really young and very terrified. She didn't force him to do the heroin and in a very small way, I feel sorry for her. But in all honesty, I think had my friend died right there on the floor, she would have dumped him off somewhere for someone else to discover him.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Some Random Guy

My question is will this girl face criminal charges for leaving my friend alone to die?
Will she be held responsible for not getting help sooner?
Its up to the DA and maybe. It all depends on what evidence the DA has in the case and what can be proven in a court of law. Since a variety of druggies were involved, expect the police to put pressure on some to flip on the others. Criminal charges may be filed over the death and/or providing the drugs.

You Are Guilty

I don't think there's an affirmative duty to render aid in any state. However, whoever owned the house and brought the drugs in may certainly face charges.

RRevak

Provided your details are accurate, the family of your friend may also be able to bring civil suit against her.

kjizzle

This is not legal advice but just a comment.
She should be charged ( all involved) for leaving him unattended to go get more drugs when they knew he was in trouble. In my opinion they should all face murder charges if he does pass away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">