• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Charges affect Rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ravnoz

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I'm trying to move out with a friend whose been arrested twice. Once for paraphanelia, and another for possession of marijuana. We came back with excellent credit, but after the background check came back, they denied my friend the ability to rent from the facility. In Maryland those charges are misdeamenors. Is there any way to work around that? He called the corporate office in charge of the leasining in the area, and they said that if they have any sort of criminal record, they won't rent to them. I know that some people that live there have either equivilant charges or worse. What can we do?

moburkes

I'm trying to move out with a friend whose been arrested twice. Once for paraphanelia, and another for possession of marijuana. We came back with excellent credit, but after the background check came back, they denied my friend the ability to rent from the facility. In Maryland those charges are misdeamenors. Is there any way to work around that? He called the corporate office in charge of the leasining in the area, and they said that if they have any sort of criminal record, they won't rent to them. I know that some people that live there have either equivilant charges or worse. What can we do?
You and your friend can find another place to live.

smutlydog

I would suggest a rent house

The funny thing is that policies like this actually contribute to the crime rate by creating scenes of hopelessness. I understand why some people wouldn't want to live around criminals but there should be some mechanism in the system that protects criminals that have met certain conditions and have stayed clean for an X number of years. If we don’t make these changes, society as whole will pay in the end.

fairisfair

Dude, you must be a real wizard.

You WANT to live in the same house with someone who has multiple drug convictions.

Come back and let us know when the raid happens and what you are charged with. We can't wait to help you then.

fairisfair

I would suggest a rent house

The funny thing is that policies like this actually contribute to the crime rate by creating scenes of hopelessness. I understand why some people wouldn't want to live around criminals but there should be some mechanism in the system that protects criminals that have met certain conditions and have stayed clean for an X number of years. If we don’t make these changes, society as whole will pay in the end.

wah wah wah wah. Or, consider this, we could all not break the law.:rolleyes:

smutlydog

wah wah wah wah. Or, consider this, we could all not break the law.
That decision becomes more difficult for people who have few liberties and live in a high crime area. If we want people to change, what purpose does serve to make this transition more difficult?

smutlydog

I just love it when dopers and thieves get hit in the face with the reality that actions have consequences... sometimes, far-reaching and expensive consequences.

Like not being hired for a job, or being denied on an application.
You may love it but that love has social consequences for all of us. I am a counselor so hope is my business.

The consequences of someone’s crime come with probation, jail time and fines. After that as a so called Christian nation it's time for us to forgive.

garrula lingua

Smutley:
Our lives are reflected on our resumes, good or bad.
Per Smut
consequences of someone’s crime come with probation, jail time and fines. After that as a so called Christian nation it's time for us to forgive
HAH! Ever look at the statistics on re-offending of child molestation ?
Ever look at the recidivism rate on most crimes ????

Tell that to victims whose lives are left in shambles.

I've gotten the same yoyo on new charges ... and new charges ... until yoyo finally gets put away for a long stretch.
And yoyo leaves behind his/her victims and yoyo's family who are usually decimated by selfish, "'y'all have to forgive me" and "it's time to move on", yoyo.

Some people's entire life resume is preying on victims and being a total drag (emotional and financial) on society. But hey, WE should be CHRISTIAN (!??!) and forgive.

Nope. A person's acts show their character and (lack of) values.
They should be answerable for the resume they created.
Redemption means working hard at becoming a decent person and earning a place in society equal to the non-offender.

smutlydog

WE should be CHRISTIAN (!??!) and forgive. Nope.
so your not a christian???

Seroursly i wasn't refering to violent crimes. Forgiveness or no forgiveness public safety is paramount

Redemption means working hard at becoming a decent person and earning a place in society equal to the non-offender.
This can be a challenge for even a non-violent felon. It's not impossible but it is indeed a challenge. There are a few bills that are up for review by congress that may give non-violent felons a second chance once they leave prison. This is a good start. :) Maybe it's just me but by watching the news it seems as though public anger towards drug offenders is being replaced by anger toward sex offenders.

CdwJava

Apartment complexes and their operators - when managed well - follow a basic tenet: Past behavior is a good indicator of future activity. If the management chooses to rent to people with a repeat criminal history, they adopt a liability that they may not be able to get rid of if the activity returns. In the meantime, while strangers come and go and good tenants leave because of the parade of flotsam and jetsam (and parties) at the druggies apartment, the management has vacancies from good tenants who depart or tell their friends not to rent there because of the problems or the police activity.

Apartments are generally in the business of making money, not benevolence. Some apartment complexes don't care about criminal histories - perhaps you should rent there. As someone suggested, renting a house might work - or maybe a condo or townhome. If you both have decent jobs, build up a good reputation with a landlord by getting into a one year lease with someone and being a stellar tenant.

In the meantime, remind your pal that his past has come back to haunt him and encourage him to change his ways if he has not yet done so.

- Carl

garrula lingua

Expanding on what Carl said, the Landlord could find himself charged with maintaining a place for drug use if it was apparant that drugs were being used or sold in the apt.
Some communities are trying to close crack houses by going after the owners in that way.

Also, there's a risk of a house being caught up in Asset Forfeiture for drug use - even if the owner prevails in the ensuing reclamation hearing, the costs are prohibitive.
As it's a civil suit, the owner bears the costs.

Smut, I've contributed to Delancy Street in S.F. - I wish there were more.
I firmly believe that people can change if they want.
But, my admiration goes to the ones who change without an attitude of entitlement - they just do it & don't whine about society and not getting enough help.

OP: Do whatever it takes to help your guy stay clean & find a rental where you will be accepted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">