• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Currently Under Investigation..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeknow111

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

Recently, I was approached by a known undercover cop and although he didn't explicity ask for drugs, immediately started saying how he loved to get high. Of course I didn't respond as I don't do drugs nor deal. However I do have friends who may or may not have dealt in the past.

Since I'm under investigation and the cops are trying to get me to do/say something illegal, I'm wondering if they can arrest me for anything, are trying to get me to commit a crime or if they have a charge on me already and need hard evidence to seal the deal in court.

Frankly, I haven't done anything illegal in forever, and am just wondering WHY THE HELL THESE COPS ARE WASTING THEIR RESOURCES ON A NON-USER NON-DEALER with absolutely no record.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

FYI, I've been under surveillance now for about 6 months.

joeknow111

Legal Question

Can teh police hold a charge above my head indefinitely while waiting to get me to commit a bigger crime?

Can the testimony of a dealer be used against me even though I have never been caught in possession of anything?

joeknow111

Question

What is the statute of limitations for bringing a charge of drug use/buy in NYC?

And if it's my word against a drug dealers about a buy....I don't understand how the court could side with the dealer.

Frankly what I think happened is that someone I know (don't know who exactly) got caught and is giving up names of people who may have used in teh past. I'm not worried about my present because I stopped using long ago, but am wondering what they could possibly charge me with, with regards to my past during which I may have used a little but never dealt.

xylene

Advice:

If possible move to another jurisdiction, preferably another state, ideally a non adjacent state.

Do not socialize with anyone you do not know. If approached by undercover officers, say "Excuse me," and leave the area.

Do not partonize bars, espcially bars where your drug associates have been known to frequent.

Keep your nose clean. Do not do anything illegal, even traffic violations. Do not put yourself in a situation where an arrest is possible (swank nightclub, house party, whatever)

If you have flashy possessions (rims, expensive car, rolex) or a street manor of dress... consider adopting a more conservative personal style.

This is common sense stuff...Without knowing more details, its hard to provide anyhting else.

Your post suggests you have not been charged with a crime, so its all conjecture at this point.

If arrested, keep silent. Do not profess that you don't use or deal. Even if true it will only serve to further implicate you.

Think Austin Powers Dr. Evil

Zip

but..

Zip

Zip it.

outonbail

And if it's my word against a drug dealers about a buy....I don't understand how the court could side with the dealer.
This happens when the dealer ends up with your money and you, with his dope

Frankly what I think happened is that someone I know (don't know who exactly) got caught and is giving up names of people who may have used in teh past. I'm not worried about my present because I stopped using long ago, but am wondering what they could possibly charge me with, with regards to my past during which I may have used a little but never dealt.
You may have used? I would guess that you did, (or do use) since your not sure but "may have"
Poor memory aside, I find it hard to believe that the police would have the resources and/or waste them on investigating some "may be" small time user for six months. There is either more to this story, or your mistaken about being under investigation.

CdwJava

It's not a very good buy-bust program they have if their guy is a "known undercover cop". I suspect that he is NOT a cop. Either that, or their vice/drug unit is very shoddy, and their people are at great risk.

He might be a rumored local "snitch", but I doubt he's a cop.

- Carl

xylene

It's not a very good buy-bust program they have if their guy is a "known undercover cop". I suspect that he is NOT a cop. Either that, or their vice/drug unit is very shoddy, and their people are at great risk.

He might be a rumored local "snitch", but I doubt he's a cop.

- Carl
I strongly suspect that he is misconstruing the term 'undercover' and that the person who engaged him in conversation is a plain clothes officer.

I have had officers in street attire approach me in a college bar throwing weed lingo around at me and my friends (Yeah I had long hair... so... :p ). Sort of a ham handed flesh out the young people thing. You are not really undercover if your badge shows uder your jacket...

This guy may be paranoid, but it would seem he has a reason to be.

fairisfair

OMG, I feel so deprived. I have never had police officers approach me "throwing weed lingo around" Gee. . . . . I wonder why that is ????? :rolleyes:

CdwJava

That kind of fishing is silly ... I know I wouldn't condone it of my investigators under most circumstances for a host of reasons.

- Carl

xylene

OMG, I feel so deprived. I have never had police officers approach me "throwing weed lingo around" Gee. . . . . I wonder why that is ????? :rolleyes:
We can't all have gone to college. :)

I was a long hair. So were my friends. Some were even white... with dreadlocks... People make assumptions.

I mean it does take a genius to know the that the only guy in the bar with a crew cut, line backer build, and a gun and a badge half tucked under a carhartt is a police officer.

"Doin blunts..." It was creepy actually. The guys naivitae mostly.

But then again I was getting a 3.9 at a research university, so a weird confrontation like that didn't send me into a tizzy thinking I was a target of a six month investigation...

smutlydog

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

Recently, I was approached by a known undercover cop and although he didn't explicity ask for drugs, immediately started saying how he loved to get high. Of course I didn't respond as I don't do drugs nor deal. However I do have friends who may or may not have dealt in the past.

Since I'm under investigation and the cops are trying to get me to do/say something illegal, I'm wondering if they can arrest me for anything, are trying to get me to commit a crime or if they have a charge on me already and need hard evidence to seal the deal in court.

Frankly, I haven't done anything illegal in forever, and am just wondering WHY THE HELL THESE COPS ARE WASTING THEIR RESOURCES ON A NON-USER NON-DEALER with absolutely no record.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Since I'm under investigation and the cops are trying to get me to do/say something illegal
You are either hanging with some really big fish or you’re just being paranoid. In any given city there are too many snitches to choose from. Why would a city use expensive police officers for work like this?

The feds can hang a case over your head for 5 years. And yes during that time they will try and build a stronger case. They do this by connecting the dots through other people that have been busted. They can also track everywhere you go using your cell phone.

If you are hanging around dealers because you are on drugs then get help with this problem. If you are a law abiding citizen and you are hanging around with drug dealers I suggest you get a mental evaluation because you will eventually become a witness or a defendant. Don’t be suppressed if it’s both. :eek:

ceara19

You are either hanging with some really big fish or you’re just being paranoid. In any given city there are too many snitches to choose from. Why would a city use expensive police officers for work like this?
Hopefully he's just paranoid. If he is hanging with people that warrant this much attention by law enforcement, blabbing about it on the Internet probably isn't a very "healthy" idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">