• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dead docketed case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drumnbasskitty

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was arrested when I was 17 with a vial of LSD and a joints worth of marijuana. Basically I was in the wrong place at the wrong time as the friend I was visiting had been set up in a sting. This friend claimed responsibility for the stuff I had on me in addition to the drugs and paraphernalia in his home and served over a year in jail for all of the offenses. I have always been a high achiever in school and in the community with many honors and recognitions to my name, and had no past record nor any similiar incidents since then (not to mention that I completely shocked my parents, who wisely let me spend the night in jail to learn my lesson). My case, thanks to my friend and our lawyers, was put on the dead docket. It has now been over four years since the arrest, and I am curious what the statute of limitations is for this, as well as whether or not it is on permanently on my record because I never actually went to court for the matter. I am quite worried this will forever prohibit me from getting a good job or joining the military.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks.

Last edited:

JETX

drumnbasskitty said:
It has now been over four years since the arrest, and I am curious what the statute of limitations is for this, as well as whether or not it is on permanently on my record because I never actually went to court for the matter. I am quite worried this will forever prohibit me from getting a good job or joining the military.
What were the EXACT charges.... and date??

drumnbasskitty

I was charged with possession of a schedule 1 drug and possession of marijuana less than an ounce. I was arrested at the end of July 2000 and was told by my lawyer that the case had been settled and placed on the dead docket in January 2001.

thanks for your help.

JETX

drumnbasskitty said:
I was charged with possession of a schedule 1 drug and possession of marijuana less than an ounce. I was arrested at the end of July 2000 and was told by my lawyer that the case had been settled and placed on the dead docket in January 2001.

thanks for your help.
Need your EXACT charges (statute reference, etc.)

drumnbasskitty

As far as I know, that was my exact charge: possession of a schedule 1 drug and possession of marijuana (less than one ounce). I don't understand what you mean by statute reference.

Thanks again.

JETX

drumnbasskitty said:
As far as I know, that was my exact charge: possession of a schedule 1 drug and possession of marijuana (less than one ounce). I don't understand what you mean by statute reference.
Those are 'generic terms' of the crimes you were charged with. There are several different 'levels' of potential charges within them... with each having different penalties.

Take a look at the Georgia Criminal Code to see the ACTUAL statute(s):
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/GaCode/Title16.pdf

drumnbasskitty

As best I can tell, I was charged under 16-13-30 (c) for the LSD, a felony, and I had trouble finding the exact statute for possession of marijuana less than one ounce, which is a misdemenor. The closest I could find was 16-13-31 (c), but that has to do with 50 pounds or more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">