• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deferred sentence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcdabu421

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I received a deferred sentence on a delivery of a controlled substance charge. my probation in up in july and i was wondering a few things. If I will be able to hunt and own a firearm after my probation is up? And also if i get background checks while appllying for jobs will they be able to see this?

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I received a deferred sentence on a delivery of a controlled substance charge. my probation in up in july and i was wondering a few things. If I will be able to hunt and own a firearm after my probation is up? And also if i get background checks while appllying for jobs will they be able to see this?
Your charges will absolutely show up on your record.

If the law there regarding a deferred sentence is anything like other states that I'm aware of, meaning that your finding of guilt and imposition of sentence is deferred pending the successful completion of the probationary period, then it's possible that you can file to have the criminal record expunged, after a predetermined period of time after being released from probation.

Are your charges misdemeanor or felony? This will obviously make a huge difference right now as to whether or not you can even possess a firearm at all.

If the law is about the same as anywhere else, then you will not have been convicted of anything. Deferred means not convicted, so long as you complete probation, in which it sounds like you did. Check with a local criminal defense Attorney to see if and when, under ND law, you can have all of this removed from your record.

Some states will place the predetermined period of time on the deferred law for certain offenses, i.e; "the defendant may seek to have the record expunged for a felony offense 10 years after being release from probation", something to that affect.

Some offenses are not eligible for expungement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">