• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did they follow the right procedure? Denial of an attorney - Help PLEASE!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hatton

KY

1 year ago I went to court for a possession of marijuana and paraphanelia charge.

Immediately after being brought before the judge I requested a court appointed attorney. The judge in a very condescending voice asked me if I were indigent and implied that I wouldn't qualify for one. Not knowing what they word indigent meant I sheepishly responded with I guess not. Afterwards the prosecutor recommended two years supervised probation with random drug tests, as well as a fine. I was never given the opportunity to even try and see if I did qualify for an attorney or prove any indigency. I was unemployed at the time and told the judge that. Anyway there was never a pretrial proceeding and in my head I was under the impression that I may go to jail after this initial court hearing. I plead guilty solely because I thought I had no other options. Looking back on it I feel as though I was pressured into accepting a plea and now I have to pay monthly charges, and submit to drug tests of which I have passed all of them, and paid all of my fines accordingly.

I now I am in the mortgage career field now where I am required to have a license in certain states. I am now being denied certain licenses due to teh fact that I am on probation. I have consistently been a top producer for my company for the last year. What I am trying to avoid is this probation hindering any possible future success in my job over the remaining year.

My question is: Do I have any recourse in trying to get my probation terminated early? If so what are the procedures that I may take? Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">