• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

differences between DEJ and pre-plea?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eatingpeas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (Los Angeles)

I was arrested for a non-violet felony drug crime (attempted possession) and since it's my first, I'm being offered two different programs to choose between : DEJ and pre-plea drug court. I now understand the fundamental differences between the two -- DEJ I plead guilty, pre-plea I do not -- but I'm having a difficult time trying to find out what the programs' differences are in function. All my public defender could tell me at the time of my early disposition hearing was that pre-plea requires more court appearances. That alone is an issue as I have a full-time job as a legal assistant and getting time off is problematic. Besides that, though, I'd like to know if there are other differences between the programs. More stringent monitoring? Drug testing? More classes? More fees? I'd appreciate any and all responses since I'm confused, worried about my future and want to make the most appropriate decision. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">