• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to disclose a misdemeanor possession charge on a job application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thumper619

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had my felony (possession of marijuana with the intent for sale) reduced to a misdemeanor possession charge [HS11357(a)] of concentrated cannabis. This is strange because I never possessed concentrated cannabis; it was just marijuana. The misdemeanor is also expunged.

California job applications state not to disclose misdemeanor marijuana possession charges over 2 years old. Would I need to disclose my misdemeanor possession of concentrated cannabis?

Thanks in advance

swalsh411

Except for jobs requiring a government security clearance, you are never legally required to truthfully answer any question on a job application.

FlyingRon

The prohibition on asking about marijuana convictions only applies to section (b) and (c).

However other labor code rules say that private employers can't ask about dismissed charges which yours appear to be (that's how you get things expunged in California). However the State and Federal employers can ask, so it would behoove you to answer "Yes, but indicated the charges were dismissed."

thumper619

The prohibition on asking about marijuana convictions only applies to section (b) and (c).

However other labor code rules say that private employers can't ask about dismissed charges which yours appear to be (that's how you get things expunged in California). However the State and Federal employers can ask, so it would behoove you to answer "Yes, but indicated the charges were dismissed."
Technically, yes, it is a "dismissal" under penal codes 1203.4 & 1203.4a. I did not disclose it and I hope I did the right thing.

The application asked if I have ever been convicted of a crime other than traffic violations

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">