• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i still have a chance at becoming a police officer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jb7988

Hey everyone, I live in Ma and have a few questions,

Up until september i had never been in trouble in my life, im 19 and in september was caught with a small amount of marijuana my friends and i were arrested, this is extremely embarassing. Im currently a sophmore in college persuing my CJ degree and was stupid. My goal has always been to become a police officer even though this is not very becoming. I was foolish and was experimenting and just so happened to get caught. Anyways my question is have a ruined my chances? The case was dismissed with a continuance without a finding, and my record sealed. What exaclty is a continuing W/O a finding and will it show up on my record in BI checks?, im currently enlisted in my towns citizen police academy and love the atmosphere of the job, im really panicking, any info would be much appreciated thank you.

Shay-Pari'e

You have already asked this, and you were answered by a officer.
CdwJava
Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7988
hey all, quick question im currently a sophmore in college majoring in CJ, yes i was stupidly into MJ for a while wound up getting arrested a few months ago for simple possesion, anyway everything was dismissed in court other than that my backgorund is spotless ive never even had a speeding ticket, i accept full responsibility for everything and plan on getting it expunged(although i know it will still be viewed). Will this ruin my chances? thank you

An arrest is not the same as a conviction, but it WILL almost certainly come up in a background check. This is not an automatic disqualifier, but some agencies may have a zero tolerance policy for past drug use. Whether you get hired by agencies without such a policy will depend on the frequency of the use, last time you used, and what you have done since that time. getting your degree will go a long way to erasing that transgression.

- Carl

Remember, only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">