• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double jeopardy after 15 years??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schyst

i live in New Jersey, i was arrested when i was 19 for possession of a joint, i went to court and took a conditional discharge. i sat out the time in jail and paid all the fines except for the mandatory d.e.d.r. penalty. now, 15 years later, im 33 and the municipal court decided to bring the charges back up against me and re-charge me with this offense, citing my non-payment of that d.e.d.r. penalty. how can they do this? is it even possible for them to be able to bring this back up even after i served time for this??? i have a court date for 3-25-09 an i really need help on this...

You Are Guilty

i live in New Jersey, i was arrested when i was 19 for possession of a joint, i went to court and took a conditional discharge. i sat out the time in jail and paid all the fines except for the mandatory d.e.d.r. penalty. now, 15 years later, im 33 and the municipal court decided to bring the charges back up against me and re-charge me with this offense, citing my non-payment of that d.e.d.r. penalty. how can they do this? is it even possible for them to be able to bring this back up even after i served time for this??? i have a court date for 3-25-09 an i really need help on this...
Which part of "conditional" is giving you trouble?
con‧di‧tion‧al1
1 if an offer, agreement etc is conditional, it will only be done if something else happens first [≠ unconditional]:
a conditional acceptance
conditional on/upon
His agreement to buy our house was conditional on our leaving all the furniture in it.
Probably too late to pay now, but it never hurts to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">