• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug & alcohol charge in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ifoughtthelaw21

I recently turned 21. I was having a night in (college dorm) with my best friend (visiting as a guest), her roommate, and another friend. They are all 19/20. I bought alcohol for myself, but allowed them to partake if they chose to. I also had marijuana. Skip forward, and the police knock on the door. My friend and I are both charged with possession of less than 1/2 an oz along w/ drug paraphernalia. I was also charged with serving alcohol to those under the age of 21. I was also banned from the campus for a year (although that is the least of my worries). I don't know what to do. If I should go w/ a court appointed attorney or hire a lawyer. This is my first offense. Never been in trouble before.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I recently turned 21. I was having a night in (college dorm) with my best friend (visiting as a guest), her roommate, and another friend. They are all 19/20. I bought alcohol for myself, but allowed them to partake if they chose to. I also had marijuana. Skip forward, and the police knock on the door. My friend and I are both charged with possession of less than 1/2 an oz along w/ drug paraphernalia. I was also charged with serving alcohol to those under the age of 21. I was also banned from the campus for a year (although that is the least of my worries). I don't know what to do. If I should go w/ a court appointed attorney or hire a lawyer. This is my first offense. Never been in trouble before.
If I had the means, and I were in your shoes, I would hire an attorney. Of course, I wouldn't have been stupid enough to have pot in a college dorm either...and I went to college in the mid/late 70's when stupidity was at its height.

ifoughtthelaw21

If I had the means, and I were in your shoes, I would hire an attorney. Of course, I wouldn't have been stupid enough to have pot in a college dorm either...and I went to college in the mid/late 70's when stupidity was at its height.
Okay, firstly, thank you for the advice. Secondly, I'm going to choose to not acknowledge that you called me stupid basically. I hope you have a wonderful night.

TigerD

Okay, firstly, thank you for the advice. Secondly, I'm going to choose to not acknowledge that you called me stupid basically. I hope you have a wonderful night.
Well, ifoughtthelaw, the next verse of your song is: "and the law won."

Perhaps your choices should be re-evaluated.

TD

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you can afford to hire an attorney, you won't qualify for a court appointed attorney. You are guilty. So what do you think you are going to get out of this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">